How can I help my 6 year old with his schooling? He has ADHD

oMiSSANNAMARiEo

Asked by oMiSSANNAMARiEo at 8:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my son was younger, his teachers & I worked out a daily behavior chart on the 3 top areas he needed help with (behaviors- not subjects) He then worked toward a goal for a prize (Which I agreeed to purchase) after so many good weeks. It takes cooperation from the teacher & a lot of patience from everyone! Hang in there! (BTW- my son ended up graduation 3rd in his class w/ a 4.4 gpa & a full ride scholarship!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• MY BEST and FIRST advice for you is......SUGAR!!! I think sugars may affect an adhd child in the classroom more than the average child... so.. if you take out all sugars from his diet you might see an improvement in behaviors. Also- whole wheat and grains are better than white enriched flours breads because that is like eating a candy bar for anyone. There are varying opinions on what medications to give an adhd child but I warn you.... whatever you end up giving or getting please RESEARCH it... and make certain that you get a second opinion about making sure he has adhd! My child was misdiagnosed and it caused years of mess to deal with! There are also child play groups sometimes with other parents whose children have the same struggles.... maybe google in your area??? I hope this helps!
    FingerPainter

Answer by FingerPainter at 8:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• DD has ADHD. I've read a lot about it. One of the best books is: Barkley, R. A., Taking charge of ADHD: The complete, authoritative guide for parents. We did parenting strategies and finally needed to add meds to the mix when DD started 4th grade. Also, make sure that he's doing OK socially, if not, he should have social skills instruction. My local CHADD group has been a help too.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• He takes medicine, he is still very hyper. At school he doesn't talk... his teachers don't believe he can talk. I mean he don't even ask to use the restroom. He is very far behind to where they are considering holding him back. Something bother him qt school, anxiety, scared .. something and I believe that is why he isn't learning. Next year I'm doing. Online school at home hoping the environment will help him focus and learn more. What do y'all think!
    oMiSSANNAMARiEo

Comment by oMiSSANNAMARiEo (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My son is AS and he has done really well with the online school format. His teacher actually suggested it for him. The best part is the flexibility of the lessons letting him move ahead where he excels and giving him more time where he needs it. That has been instrumental in relieving his school stress. In a traditional setting there wasn't anything he could see that he was good at and if he missed the day's lesson he was SOL.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• my 10yr old has ADD and has also hit puberty, with her ADD she is affected more my anger and aggression and with her hitting puberty all i get from her now is crying and screaming.... very stressful
    broken_33

Answer by broken_33 at 1:53 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It is very stressful. I feel like it is my fault that he is behind and possibly going to be held back, like I should have done more but it is very stressful & not worth the battle trying to get him to sit down. I am really looking forward to Online School, very excited! I am doing it through k12.com, the name of the school is Georgia Cyber Academy. They provide everything (i.e. materials, computer, printer, etc) and it is all free and I have heard great reviews. I have nothing to lose by trying. His pyschologist recommended homeschooling as well. I just wish I knew how to make his mind trigger to learn. His pyschologist said he could have what is called Selective-Mutism, not sure really what it is, but I googled it and it seemed appropriate. I just wanna give up, pull him out of school right now. The school isn't doing anything to help him... I just don't know where to start or what to do. Thanks for the advice! I need it! :)
    oMiSSANNAMARiEo

Comment by oMiSSANNAMARiEo (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If he isn't talking at school it could be selective mutism and that is a different issue. It is an anxiety based disorder and removing him from school won't help and it could make it much worse. As for the ADHD, both my son and my niece have it, as do I. We've all needed meds at one point. Because it is a medical disability, work with the school on a 504 plan to meet his specific needs. ADHD kids are highly addicted to computers and I"m not sure it's the best education for him. Computers are hightly stimulating and there's a lot of research on how they 'rewire' childrens' brains and make them more distracted and less able to communicate effectively.Homeschooling isn't a bad solution, just join a group to provide him with the interaction he needs. Churches, community groups, etc. are a good place to start. I am a teacher with degrees in special ed, early childhood ed, admin and elementary ed. I've seen lots of kids like him.
    flgirl01

Answer by flgirl01 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Have you tried giving him Omega 3 vitamins? I give DS Little Critters brand. Since taking these vitamins he has improved so much. He was way behind. He is also In speech therapy and I keep red 40 out of his diet.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My 4 year old has ADHD and I am not there yet. Thankfully my husband has it and can help me in that area. Maybe talkt o his school to see what they haev to offer.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2011