S/O the "is it legal to run tests you don't want" doctor question...(posted under another topic with a different title)

Back in January I went to the ER with excruciating pain that they took hours to diagnose as a kidney stone. Of course early on the doc asked if I could be pregnant - I said "absolutely not, I'm just finishing my period & haven't even had sex in months". He asked multiple times, asked about doing a pregnancy test, my uring test came back with blood in it (duh, I told him I was just getting done), etc, and I kept saying no test, I KNOW I'm not, you have to have sex to get pregnant, yadda yadda yadda. Plus finally seeing the kidney stone in the CT scan, I figured he gave up on that. Well I just got the bill (this hospital is SLOW) - and he ordered a freaking pregnancy test, which cost $128! So do I go back and talk to him, talk to someone in billing, what? Because my insurance notice already came too, and they aren't covering that - I'm not paying $128 for a pregnancy test I refused! So who do I talk to?! I'm pissed off!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Health

• I think it is a standard test to protect you and a potential unborn baby. Certain treatments can cause harm to the fetus and MANY
    women do not know they are pg.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• They have to be sure, you could be lieing....lots of people do. LOL I am not saying you were btw. Be grateful they helped you and discovered your problem. If the bill is a hardship, let them know and make small payments. I been there done that.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Potentially, you could have been several months pregnnat. Many women don't find out for several months. He should not have run the test without your consent, that was wrong and I think if you throw a fit with the hospital administrator they will not bill you for it (though your insurance really should cover it, since it's standard of care for abdominal pain in women of childbearing age).

The doctor was just trying to do his job. ANY time a woman presents with abdominal pain and she is over 12 they are SUPPOSED to test for pregnancy. They can be sued hardcore if they give you a CT scan or unsafe medication and BAM you're pregnant and they didn't test for it. It's a liability and a safety thing. But they still needed your consent.

Call the hospital administrator and complain.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• But I KNEW I was not pregnant - because, like I told the doctor, I had not even had sex in months. Any doctor should know that you have to have sex to get pregnant!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I get what everyone is saying, theyre telling me that its probably policy or they might have suspected something else because theyre the doctor. but how is it okay to run all these tests and not tell the patient?!!?!? I'm STILLL searching for an answer. I guess you can talk to a lawyer for an hour for free, like a free consiltation (sp?) so I think I'm just going to go talk to a lawyer about this. maybe you should too. i think your situation is worse than mine, because I went in for an STD test, and they ran more than one STD test, but they ran a totally different test for you than what you went in for! this all just sucks.
    good luck to you!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It is just standard procedure.
    Anonymous

• Once you sign those papers in admission don't you give them the right to run any kind test/treatment? I just wondering.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I would talk to your insurance company to see if that is in violation of their contract with the hospital. I would also talk to the hospital administrator and try going that route. Not thinking you are going to get anywhere though...sorry.

I told my doctor I wanted my thyroid tested. So he had me come in to get some bloodwork. They took several vials and I'm sitting there like "why so many?" and the person drawing blood said that the doctor ordered a complete CBC and a couple other things. I was irate because I did not ask or approve for that. I never said anything, but yeah, that bugged me.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• $128 for one freakin pregnancy test I can understand in being a procedure o make sure your not pg but WTH! A pregnancy test costs the max of $20 at Walgreens!
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Interesting question. When I went for my ablation, they tested me for pregnancy over and over. I'd had one 50 hours before my surgery, and the morning of the surgery, they told me they would need ANOTHER pregnancy test because they had to confirm that I was not pregnant within 48 hours of the surgery. They told me they would not charge me for it, but they needed to cover themselves to make sure that I was not pregnant before destroying my uterus.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2011