How do I deal with this hospital error that I discovered on the bill?

Back in January I went to the ER with excruciating pain that they took hours to diagnose as a kidney stone. Of course early on the doc asked if I could be pregnant - I said "absolutely not, I'm just finishing my period & haven't even had sex in months". He asked multiple times, asked about doing a pregnancy test, my uring test came back with blood in it (duh, I told him I was just getting done), etc, and I kept saying no test, I KNOW I'm not, you have to have sex to get pregnant, yadda yadda yadda. Plus finally seeing the kidney stone in the CT scan, I figured he gave up on that. Well I just got the bill (this hospital is SLOW) - and he ordered a freaking pregnancy test, which cost $128! So do I go back and talk to him, talk to someone in billing, what? Because my insurance notice already came too, and they aren't covering that - I'm not paying $128 for a pregnancy test I refused! So who do I talk to?! I'm pissed off!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• Its almost common practice for a doctor to run a pregnancy test. If they ran it sadly...you will have to pay it or let it go to a bill collector.
    conweis

Answer by conweis at 11:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• The pregnancy test is probably warranted. It was used to diagnose you. They could make a strong case for that.
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 8:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I would call the billing department. I agree with the first poster and it is pretty much one of the things that they test no matter what for a woman in a certain age and many time a woman will say that being pregnant is not possible but nevertheless needs to be confirmed.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• The pregnancy test did not diagnose my kidney stone. I KNEW I wasn't pregnant.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i would talk to the business office or whoever does the billing at that hospital and tell them you will not pay for something you didnt ask for. i went through a simular sitation and i talked to the business office about it and while they didn take whole amount off they did reduce my payment. good luck
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Talk with someone at your insurance and tell them what happened and see what they suggest. You can also tell the business office at the hospital that you refused a pregnancy test and they did one anyway. Most of the time in the ER, a woman with abdominal pain is given a pregnancy test because they don't want to give a treatment that might harm a baby - just in case. I took DD in for a GI series and colonoscopy and they wanted to give her a pregnancy tests before the procedure. She was 13 at the time and hadn't had her 1st period. It was SOP at that hospital for any girl over age 12. $128 is outrageous for the charge.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• report to ins company my Dr did tons of unneeded tests but my ins wouldn't pay 4 them they told the er to just cut they're losses that i wasn't aware of the tests or didn't want them
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 9:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Call billing and ask about it. You probably have to write a letter of complaint and go through a certain process. If you signed papers to be treated you also want to see those to read the fine print. You may have given permission, in those, to have several tests run. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2011