What grade does my 7yr old daughter belong?

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and decided to ask other moms for advice and ideas. So any advice and oppinion would be very helpful!

Here is our story. I have a 7-year old daughter who's currently enrolled in a private Montessori school. We live in CA and the cutoff date is December 2nd here. My daughter's bday is November 8th. As of right now she's a very young 2nd grader, but in Montessori school it doesn't really matter, because every child goes at their own pace and that's the reason I liked the school in the first place.
However we will be moving over the summer and she will have to go to public school. And here is where I have a huge problem. What grade does she belong??? I am worried that she will be the youngest if I let her go in 3rd grade next year and that might create issues for her socially down the road. Academically she seems fine right now, but I really don't have many kids to compare her with. She reads well, probably well above 2nd grade level, seems to do great with spelling, does not enjoy math much at times, but seems more than capable (knows multiplication and division up to 5's, fractions, has touched on long division and angles). Socially she enjoys older kids, but plays equally well with 5 and 6yr olds (she has a younger brother).

Any advice anybody? I don't want her to have issues down the road socially or academically. I also don't want her to be bored if I put her in 2nd.

So moms of 2nd graders and 7yr olds, what do you think? And any moms here who have kids in older grades with fall birthdays that were not held back? How are things going down the road?

All oppinions are welcomed!

Est1108

Asked by Est1108 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 7yo will turn 8 in May, and is currently in 2nd, will be in 3rd grade in the fall.
    Anonymous

• 2nd grade sounds right for a 7 year old.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think I was in the second grade when I was 7. Of course I was held back in preschool
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I have a 6-kindergarden and 8- second grade  right now. I would let the public school system decide. The school my kids go to has the kids advance well beyond the rest of the state and surrounding states. When a new kid comes to our school and goes into the grade they were in at their old school the kid is way behind. The school should be able to access your child and decide.         My kids are in first grade when they are 7.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I am a teacher, and I would say if she is successfully completing her 2nd grade work, move her ahead next year. Don't worry about age. They will either accept her old school's records or have her take a placement test, but I wouldn't hold her back due to age.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Lets think I work in the school system 5 and 6 are in kindergarten and 6 and 7 are in 1st and 7 and 8 yrs old are in 2nd grade I live in VA please keep in mind everyone school district is different in enrolling children in. My daughter started in kindergarten in the state of WA the cut off date was 5 exactly on her birthday which was Aug 31. They also had a testing period which was the 1st 2 weeks of school. If you child can make it through the testing time they can stay for the rest of the year. If not they go back home and start the next year of kindergarten. I think every state should do that Also my daughter was the youngest everywhere we went because my husband was in the Navy. My daughter is 19 and graduated with honors from high school . And she did very well.

bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My DD is the very youngest in her grade and currently the school, she is 11 in the 6th grade. Everyone is turning 12 which she won't do until Oct. I have questioned our pushing her ahead at times because she is a little shy, but she is academically far ahead of a lot of the kids who are turning 13 in the summer and fall, so she would be bored in the lower grade.

As long as she is doing well academically I would watch and wait. The school district might have a policy which would force the hand to make her stay back, but they might also look at where she is and make a decision based on her acchievements.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• 7/turning 8 is right for 2nd grade here.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yeah that is right 2nd grade. But if your having that much problems , you should have the school test her to see what grade she test's at they should be able to tell you.
    mimi497

Answer by mimi497 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• iThank you everybody!

Well my child will still be 7 when starting 3rd grade and will turn 8 only almost 1/3 way through her 3rd grade. So when she started 2nd grade, she was 6 years old, turned 7 1/3 way through.

The school will actually put her automatically in 3rd unless I object, which I don't know if I should do. The law for cut off is stil December 2nd (which they will move to Sept. 1st over the next 3 years). Most people do hold their fall and even late summer birthday kids back, which makes me very worried. For example she has a friend in another private school 2nd grade class and with her late May birthday that girl is the second youngest in her class of over 20 kids.

I'm honestly not worried about academics right now. I feel she's well into 3rd grade curriculum already, with her reading above 3rd grade. I'm just concerned that socially and maybe down the road academically she might run into problems..
    Est1108

Comment by Est1108 (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011