How did your child learn to read?

How did your child learn to read & at what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I homeschool and my kids are learning mainly by phonics. We use SOME sight words but we don't put such a huge emphasis on them like public schools do. Both of my boys were 6 when they started regularly looking at words in a book and knowing what they were.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We read constantly to the kids. They started asking us to show them certain words after awhile and it went on from there. They were both reading on their own before they started kindergarten.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My oldest just picked it up. I never actually taught him to read, but he was reading very well when he was only 3. It was amazing. Now he's 8 and tested halfway through grade 5. My youngest was speech delayed and now he's trying to learn to read. He's in kindergarten and gets pulled from class for half an hour a day for a supplemental reading program. It seems to be helping. He'll be 6 in June.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• 2 of mine are reading, they learned in Kindergarten, from their teacher, and practiced at home.
    Anonymous