What kind of weather does it take for leagues to "call off" games where you live?

Today it was pouring down rain and all of 40 degrees and they still had my 5 year old's soccer game. Sigh. Fun times! Sitting out there freezing and trying to keep everyone as dry as possible. EGH!!

Then again, I remember games and meets in the rain when I was growing up and we all survived somehow! LOL

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I miss those days. We lived in WA state and boy my son had to play in the rain all the time plus the cold weather. I hated at the time but now I miss it because my son is 25 yrs old! I know its hard but please treasure those moments while you still have them.
    I go to soccer games now with my friend and her children and they only call off the games with lightening
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• lightening

Answer by admckenzie at 9:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• If it rains with in 24 hours of a softball game they call it. It's kinda agrivating. If they played all their games they wouldhave played like 6 but have only played 3. I paid almost $100 so my kids could "play" softball not "heres a uniform thanks for the check."
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Lightening. Temps colder than 40.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• thunderstorm/tornado watches, rainouts, too-wet fields.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• They never call games for rain, it has to be lightening/thunder.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Lightning if the stands are metal. Weather watches, or if it's rained more than an inch in the last 24 hours and isn't soaking in.
    Anonymous

• Depends on the sport here. Baseball/softball/t-ball always seem to be calling off games "oh no it's cloudy, baseball is cancelled". My kids play soccer and football, soccer will call off the games if it's really rainy and cold or if the fields are too wet and if there's snow. The only thing that stops football is lightning, not thunder but lightning. The first year my son played there was snow on the ground and he was out practicing - I don't know who was more miserable me or him! Now many years later I've got a heated chair and a sleeping bag in my van at all times so I'm ready to watch in the cold.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Our games are played in wind, rain, snow, whatever. They're only called off when there is lightening or we are under threat of tornados.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2011