Which of these people would you go to for advice?

First off, let me say that this is a purely hypothetical situation. I am not currently in this situation, nor do I know anyone who is. I am posting this because I occasionally see people on here saying things like "I would never ask someone without children of their own for advice."

Secondly, there's no right or wrong answer here. I just want to see who you choose and why.

Here's the "situation".

You are the mother of a 2 year old child. Being 2, he's starting to test his limits somewhat, and you're looking for advice on an effective form of discipline. You have two friends; we'll call them Susan and Lucy. Susan has a 13 year old son and 15 year old daughter. It has been years since she's had any regular contact with toddlers. Lucy has no children of her own, but she works in the toddler (ages 1-2) room at a daycare center.

Which of those two women do you go to for advice in this particular situation?

And remember, this is just for fun. Please refrain from calling each other idiots or bitches or whatever. If you don't agree with someone, that's fine, but be nice about it, okay?

makelineerror

Asked by makelineerror at 10:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• that depends is the person in the toddler room been to college and trained then i go to her
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 10:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I would go to both and see what they say
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 10:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• tough one.. depends on how well the daycare worker is with toddlers, how much she pays attention, etc.. If she knows what she's talking about, then I would pick her. A mother with preteens may or may not have had that particular problem and may not even remember if she did.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I would actually ask both of them. But if I have to pick one, I am going with Susan. Yes, it has been years since she has been around a toddler however she would have no issues punishing her child whereas Lucy is under constraints because she is not the childs parent. I hope that makes sense. Lucy has someone else to answer to about how she handles punishments.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 10:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• whichever one was closest to me, or knew the toddler in question. most of the time, if the person knows the child, they can give you better insight, knowing the character intimately.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I would probally ask both.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Gonna go with Susan. Although the other girl works with little ones- it is not the same in a daycare environment as it is at home.
    *I worked in one and have 2 teens so...
    I agree that Lucy may have some great things to say, but Susan has lived it if you know what I mean...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Good answers so far. I think I would probably ask both of them for advice, and then use whichever technique suited me.
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2011