How much is a reasonable amount to spend on a wedding?

When does it get ridiculous, regardless of how much money the couple is able to spend?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• I agree that it is up to the person who is paying for it. And as long as they do not go into debt over it. Then I think it is over the top and ridiculous
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• THAT is all up to the BRIDE, it is her special day and she wants it to be perfect. If she can afford a multi million dollar wedding more power to her.

For me personally, $5000.00 would be too much for my wedding.
    Anonymous

• We are getting married in June. To date, we have spent total of 2000. I have everything that we need...just waiting on the date.

That cost includes the rings, dress, venue...everything.

We would rather spend the money on the honeymoon or finishing our house renovations.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Money is relative to the person spending it. I have friends who had very simple, bring your own dish wedding receptions, to my daughter's (which the groom's father paid for) which I'm sure was more than just a few thousand dollars, and I worked at the Hyatt in banquets for 10 years and we had REALLY expensive weddings. One lady had her cake flown in from New York City because she wanted the same bakery or baker or something to do it that did Jacqueline Kennedy's. CRAZY!!! Me, I'm a beach-wedding kinda person with a casual springtime outdoor luncheon/bbq/buffet, some white wine and life is good...(not that I ever had that wedding...but if I could...I would...
    fivekitten

Answer by fivekitten at 10:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think that depends on the person... Persoanlly I hated spending 2,000$ on my wedding and I really hated spending 600$ on a dress! But my cousin spent 500$ on A centerpiece for her wedding and 2,000$ for a caterer.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We're spending around $1000.00 for our wedding. It'll probably be more like $1500, but that's okay.
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Whatever the person(s) paying for the wedding (whether it be the bride and groom, or the parents) can reasonably AFFORD to spend. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think it's what they can afford, I think it is stupid to go into a crazy amount of debt for a wedding (one day) but if you have the extra money and want a nice big expensive wedding thats up to you
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• THAT is all up to the BRIDE, it is her special day and she wants it to be perfect. If she can afford a multi million dollar wedding more power to her."

I disagree. I don't think it should be all up to the bride. I think the groom should have a say as well. After all, it's for both of them. I also think that if a parent is paying for it, they should have a say.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We have a family friend who spent (or rather her mother did) $2 million on her wedding. I cannot fathom how on day can be worth that much money. We spent a fraction of that and our wedding was perfect. I just think that when you're spending that much it seems like you're flaunting. Is $2 million really necessary, regardless of how wealthy you are?
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011