How am I the only one who sees a problem here.

My parents live in a farm.... they just got a bunch of chicks ( around 50 of them) ... one of the baby chicks tore his "toenail" off , and all of the other chicks started pecking at her .....

so yesterday my mom decided to tell my 4 year old daughter about it and then drop it off at my house.... She said it was because she has to work this weekend and she cant take care of it ....

My husband likes it. he thinks we are keeping it, and now so does my kids.

The problem is....... IF this chickie lives ( because it is hard to keep them alive) ... we live in a tiny house ( around 700 sq. ft. ) ... we are already full with my husband and I , our 2 kids... PLUS I babysit 3 kids during the week.... currently the chick is in a big tub thing in our living room ( which just crowds it up more) I have no where else to put it... and yet it cant stay there because on Monday morning when the 2 year old and 1 year old twins arrive.. I know they are going right for it...

I feel bad , and i would like to nurse it back to health .... BUT it is a chicken - it will grow bigger and bigger and i will not have a house full of chicken poop ...

How am I the only one in my family with a problem... my husband doesnt understnad why we cant keep it ( the kids are already attached to it after 1 day ...my mom didnt see a problem in just dropping it off....

I am just going to have to be the bad guy and drop it back off at her house tomorrow......I mean what else can I do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Put it in a cage in the backyard if you have one so you won't break the little ones hearts, besides I remember having chicks in my kindergarten class but like I say if its no space gotta go SEE YA!
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• some towns have city ordnances on having chickens in town, my sister got a $500 fine for having a pet rooster that she got from the farm store as a chick. that was just for not following the pet ordances, she also got fined for disturbing the peace. her house smelled bad and the damn thing would not shut up. chickens are meant to be on a farm not in a house. if the baby chick needs nursed i would see if they cant find someone else to do it. while doing research on my pet python i discovered that all critters that lay eggs carry salmonella poisoning and hand washing is crucial when handling those critters. i agree the chicky has to go, the kids will be heart broken but they will get over it, just explain to them that your living room is not the ideal place for a chicken. good luck
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• If you bring it back, the others will kill it - if not now, when it's older, or some animal will get hold of it. If you don't want it, put it outside for something to munch on and make up a story for your kids. I'm sure that will get me down votes, but if you don't want to keep it, it's not going to have the best life. A friend of ours has chickens & ducks, and one chicken was heavily abused by the rest of the birds. An eagle finally swooped in and did away with it. It was near death already because in order to not get bullied, it had to hide and not eat.
    Anonymous

• i should clarify the disturbing the peace had to do with the smell of the chicken and it crowing all the damn time. dont get me wrong i love all animals/critters but only in their right place
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• tell your kids it can still be "theirs' but it has to live at grandmas because it needs lots of space to run around and spend time with the other chickeeess
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2011