Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Should I file for child support?

My son is 16 months old now, his father and I broke up a week after our son was born because he wanted to be with another woman.

ANYWAY! He gives me child support but it's not ordered in courts or anything. (we've never gone to court for anything, our son lives with me, he takes him once in a while for a visit, and I live with my mother, son, and fiance. ) Plus, we have been given a home from Habitat for Humanity.

I usually get money from ex twice a month, either 50 dollars or 100 dollars, and occasionally a pack of diapers.

But it's simply not enough, I have to ask my fiance or mother to buy things my son needs.

Should I file?

And if I do file, do I have to let my ex know that I'm filing?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (17)
  • You should file...$100 bucks a month? Does he have a decent job? If so, file for it.

    You do not have to tell him about it either.

    Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • yes file however that doesnt mean you will get more child support. I receive $100 for my daughter through child support enforcement, but my husband pays out $300 a month per child. It varies...

    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • When he recieves notice of child support being enforced, is there anything that will tell him... "mother of your child requested support" ???

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • umm yes. When he gets served it will be with all the paper work YOU filled out. He will see and i would not let my ex slide by with paying 50-100 every 2 weeks. My ex didnt help with anything until i took him to court he now is court ordered to pay all his insurence and health care costs and pays 1200 monthly and its not what i have asked its the courts child support calculator off of his pay checks. Its for your son, it shouldnt be your mom's or fiance's issue if your son doesnt have all he needs, i think its time to stop being so lenient good luck :)

    Answer by brandnew744 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Depending on your relationship with your ex, why not ask him first if he would provide more and tell him what you need/would like. Sounds like he's willing to provide but if you haven't asked him for anything - he's providing what he thinks is necessary? Idk if it were me, I'd like to be asked first before going the legal route. just my opinion. Whichever way you decide - GL and take best of care

    Answer by pocmom at 12:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Brandy new you must live in CA. same thing my mom and dad did with me :) and yes, you should file. DHS will help you with the paperwork if you need it.

    Answer by shortycmlb at 2:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Should I file?

    And if I do file, do I have to let my ex know that I'm filing?
    No but, he'll find out when he's ordered to go to court. He may then file for a visitation agreement & if he wants it, he will probably be entitled to more visitation than he has now.

    Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:30 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Yes.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Yes, you don't have to tell him when you file but they will serve him soon after. But do it knowing that he will probably file for visitation and my try to get 50/50 to reduce the cost. Before you file, talk to your ex, tell him you need more money for your son then you are getting and if you file, he WILL have to pay more plus he will have to pay you from the month the child was born as well so he will prob end up owing a lot more. If he says "get a job" tell him that's fine but then he will have to pay half of all child care

    Answer by JLS2388 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Yes,because he may want to stop paying one day.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 7:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.