Do you form relationships with people who believe differently than you?

Every now and then I see posts in this section that attack certain belief systems (no, I'm not just referring to Christians here). It makes me wonder if these people are capable of having relationships with others who don't believe like they do.

Do you form relationships or friendships with people who differ in opinion from you? Do you have tendencies to look down at them for their beliefs?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 11:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have many friends of all sorts of beliefs. I don't see religion as a divisive thing - I find it all fascinating and my brand of faith is one that is inclusive. I don't look down on anyone for what they believe, and the only kinds of beliefs I have a hard time with are those which are based on intolerance or hatred, which are usually the more extreme, and less common, ways of faith (basically I only fail to tolerate intolerance, as contradictory or hypocritical it seems to be, lol). I was raised to respect the different beliefs and opinions of others, and always encouraged to follow my own convictions, so there was none of this "only one right way/answer" being pushed or absorbed into my mentality. I'm constantly studying, discussing - I just find it all so fascinating, and have a passion for it I don't even really understand, lol. It is my biggest interest. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Sure I do as long as they are tolerant and not judgmental. If we can just agree to disagree then we can be friends. No I don't look down on them either.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I'm attracted to personalities more than beliefs. Most of my friends all have different beliefs than I do. I have spent many wonderful nights with them having debates, but I find the differences intriguing.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i'm with you, OP. i've seen the same one-sided posters declare they do have a few friends from 'the other team'..but i don't believe them. if they had even one, their attitude would show a little more graciousness here..and it doesn't.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Being one of the only Atheists in a predominately Conservative Christian area, 99.999% of the people I know do not believe the same as me. I am also the ONLY Atheist in my entire family. If I only formed relationships with people who share my beliefs, I would be extremely lonely.
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 11:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Sure....I'm Christian and I've had friends of every faith I can think of...including athiests...I probably spelled that wrong lol....we just agree to disagree and keep on keeping on lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• sure , no i dont look down on them.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I believe all the people I know believe things I do not but thats okay it would be boring if I only hung around people who believed like me.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I'm proud to say I have friendships with people from all walks of life, but I'm not too proud of my diversity to admit sometimes I am judgmental or misinformed about another person's beliefs. As they say, variety is the spice of life.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I love learning new things
    conweis

Answer by conweis at 11:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011