When did you know your child had autism?

My husband and I are concerned about our 3 year olds development.

When did you notice your child had autism? How has it effected your family? What are some of the first signs you noticed?

We think he is showing signs of autism. But are not 100% sure. I don't know alot about it.

Any help would be nice, thanks!

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• We knew that there was an issue when he was 13 mos. old but it wasn't until he was 3 that he was diagnosed with autism. My grandson's mother has known there was an issue with him since was about 7 mos. old but he wasn't diagnosed until last year, after he turned 4.
    Anonymous

• My husband who was my boyfriend at the time mentioned that he thought my son (2yrs at the time) might be autistic (sons father was not in the picture). A few years before meeting me he lived with a couple who had 2 VERY HIGHLY autistic boys. My son avoided eye contact, lined his toys up and would have a complete meltdown when I touched or moved them. He also had a meltdown when our routine changed in any way. I studied his behavior online and then mentioned it to his pedi when I noticed he had a lot of symptoms. They referred him to a Developmental Pediatrician who diagnosed him with autism at 4yrs old. It has been a challenge but there are some awesome groups on here for mom of autistic kids and there are many other resources in your area for kids with autism. There are also school resources for kids with autism. I would get a referral and have him tested. GL

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• my kids dont have it i just wanted to say to all out there thats kids do i am so sorry and i wish the best .
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 11:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Our daughter was 5 yrs when we adopted her. We knew she was autistic at the time. She had repetitive behaviors such as having to touch something 3 times after she put it down, washing her hands 3 times, things like that. She loved numbers and would sit and look thru the phone book for what seemed like hours. Loud noises really upset her and she's an expert manipulator. Autistic kid's may have some strange behaviors and be unable to cope with some things well but they are generally very very intelligent. They just have trouble getting it from their head and translating into action.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I felt like something was wrong sometime after she turned two, but didn't feel certain enough to pursue it until she was three. My best advice, check it out now. I would like to have that year back and wish we'd have been more on top of therapy. She's 4 and 1/2 now and doing great, but she might have been even better.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I had my suspicions when my son was 2, but the doctor brushed me off and looked at me like I was crazy. (needless to say he was NOT our doctor for very long!). My son was diagnosed with Aspergers (high functioning Autism) when he was 8.
    If you have concerns about your child I would suggest you consult a developmental pediatrician and ask for an evaluation.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2011