Lent?

Can someone explain lent to me?

conweis

Asked by conweis at 11:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I understand it as giving something up as a sacrifice for Jesus, lasting for 40 days (before Easter). I don't practice it so I could be wrong.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My friend said for Lent he gave up facebook
    conweis

Comment by conweis (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Ha, I don't think I could handle that :P LOL! Several people on my friends list posted what they gave up...one gave up pop, another chocolate. I can't remember the others. I've never done it.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Lent is the 40 days leading up to Easter. It is a time of reflection before Christ rises again on Easter Sunday. The time of reflection and sacrifice can include prayer, fasting, giving to those less fortunate, and basically just preparing yourself for Easter and trying to become closer to God. As a Catholic, I traditionally don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent, and I either give something up or more recently I've been doing something to improve myself.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Ahh ok I dont know what i could give up for 40 days.....cleaning maybe LOL!
    conweis

Comment by conweis (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It's a time of growth and reflection. A time to look at the year, what you have done and what you have failed to do. A time of sacrifice and self improvement. To prepare for the celebration of the sacrifice of the Lord's Passion and the Glory of the Risen Lord at Easter. Are we worthy of this Greatest Gift that was given to us? Can we be worthy? Yes, we can if we try. Do we have to be perfect? No, but again we have to try with humble hearts. For trying is all He asks.
    daps

Answer by daps at 2:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It's a remembrance of the 40 days that Jesus spent in the desert praying and fasting in preparation for his public ministry

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2011