How much homework is appropiate for a 4th grader? I think that my daughter's teacher gives too much.

yummysmummy

Asked by yummysmummy at 11:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• By district rules here 4th graders should have "homework nightly not to exceed 3 assignments requiring no more than 30 minutes each." (That is a direct quote from the manual.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It's horrible these days...has been the last few years!!! It's like the schools have no concern for family time and think that's all the kid has to do in the world is school work. With parents working when is a family supposed to have time together? It really aggravates me that school has intruded on family life so much. Doesn't let kids be kids. And our schools are horrible at that. The whole system needs to be revamped...oops...think I'm ranting...I have no doubt it's too much cause I've seen it get worse over the years.
    fivekitten

Answer by fivekitten at 12:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• 4th grade my son had 1/2 hour to 2 hours of homework 4 days a week , i thought that was to much.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• When my son was in 4th grade (9 or so years ago), he had anywhere from 1-2 hours of homework a night (depending on subjects).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I don't think kids should have homework in elementary school. I think that the hours they're in school is enough for one day. I think that if they're going to have any, a half an hour a day should be enough.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My kids don't get hework because we homeschool. But I remember all too well coming home from school with loads of homework. If my kids were in traditional schools, I would expect no more than half hour to 45 minutes a day at that age. Like someone else stated, they are already at school for several hours each day "learning".
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• When my oldest son was in 4th grade his teacher told us she would only ever assign about 1/2 an hour of homework. If they came home with more it was because they were not using the class time wisely - too much visiting and not enough working. Plus I guess you have to take into consideration how quickly each individual child works. My kids are pretty good students and don't have homework often and when they do it's not a lot, but I know that my oldest son quite often helps one of his friends who struggles a bit and quite often does have homework (not doing it for him, but helping)
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Well, when I taught 3rd grade, I never gave more than 30 minutes of work each night (I didn't always give HW 5 days a week either). I do not agree with making kids spend 2 hours on HW. The point of HW is to reinforce some of the skills taught in the classroom, and to have some review with mom and dad IMO. The only times a student would have EXTRA work is if they did not complete an in class assignment, in class. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• we had about two hours a day.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Thank you all for answering my question. You all have been great help.
    yummysmummy

Comment by yummysmummy (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2011