So, here's the situation:

My MIL's birthday is the day before my son's. Every year she has a big party for herself where everyone drinks and stays up until like 2 or 3 am. Today was that day. We are throwing a party for my son's 7th and I asked my husband at around 10:30 if we can go soon because of his party the next day. He gives me a look of disbelief and says we can't go soon because it's his mom's birthday.

Now I know she won't be heartbroken if we leave before midnight, as long as we stay for the cake. My husband did the same thing the previous year, he stayed after I went home and came home the day of our son's party about 1 1/2 hours before it started.

What I want to know is would you stay at a party late if you had to host a party by noon the next day? My husband swears I don't have to do anything at the party because he is cooking... that's it.

I am ready to say that next year we are not throwing a party for our son so we can stay the whole time at my MIL's party and I won't piss my husband off by wanting to leave early.

What would you decide to do?

Thanks for listening. I'm going a little out of my mind right now. (BTW, my husband stayed at her party.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I would leave. This may sound snobby, but my son's birthday is way more important. She is an adult. She's had many parties in her lifetime. Children's birthdays are more important in my eyes.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• That's what I did. I went home, but now my husband isn't speaking to me and I know tomorrow will be tense. If I ever get mad at him or make him mad at he, he shuts down and totally ditches his responsibilities. I got pissed at him for not waking up to go to our son's baseball game after he had been out playing poker late the night before. He decided to sleep ALL day that day.

I just don't know what to do about my husband anymore... I'm sad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I really can't offer any advice other than to agree with a pp and have your son's party the day before g.ma's. Sounds to me as thought both your mother in law and your husband need to grow up a bit.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Push the party back 2 & 1/2 hrs
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• make it work so you can have both parties
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:32 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Wow, first off I think it sucks you have to go to a huge ass party for MIL every year, and until midnight at that.

IMO, I'd have DS's party the WEEKEND before or after MILs thing. It's too stressful on you to have to deal with both parties back to back.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I agree with anon. Have your son's party the weekend before or after the mom's. And on the actual day of your son's you can have a small 2nd cake and give him your present. (Sorry the adults are not acting as adults)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2011