3 yr old daughter with a temperature of 103.0

She's 3, and woke up this morning with a temp of 100.4, unmedicated. It was normal before we left for a day trip, (two hours later, medicated.) Her fever has gone up and down all day, from no fever at all, to 99.7 to, currently, 103.0. I have kept her hydrated, and she isn't exhibiting other signs of sickness, other than a minor cough (VERY minor) and some tiredness, when the fever get a little higher. What is odd about it is that her fever will be higher about 2 hours after she is medicated, then it will go down until about an hour before her next dose is due, and it will go back up about 30 minutes before her next dose is due.

When do I take her to the emergency room? How often should I take her temperature? Other than the basics (keeping her hydrated, keeping her cool, lots of love and attention, and making sure she is comfortable) what else can I do? How long should I keep her out of school? (Fever started today, Saturday, and she should go back Monday at 7:00 am)

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 12:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Alternate tylenol and ibruphofen
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• At 103...I'm thinking it's time to take her to the ER mama....you should probably go now...good luck
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• she should be fever free for 24 hours before going back to school...a fever is fighting off an infection. Honestly, if you take her to the ER, they will give her Motrin and ask if she's been hydrated. If she wasn't drinking they would put an IV...I was recently in the ER with my daughter (2 1/2) and that's exactly what happened, but my daughter was vomiting violently and had a virus that attacked her lungs. If your daughter is breathing normally, etc...she may sleep it off alternate Tylenol and Mortin every 4 hours so it doesn't get any higher...good luck!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Schools typically have a 24 hour rule for fever...so she'd be allowed back to school 24 hours after having no fever with no meds. If the fever doesn't go away after 2 days, I'd go to the doctor (I usually go sooner than that but I'm a worry wart). Sounds like you're doing all you can do :) Popsicles work great too!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• yes, popsicles do work great :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Well no one else agree's with me lol...I would have taken her to the ER...maybe I'm just overprotective or something lol....listen to the other mama's advice lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• ARE FEVERS DANGEROUS? - No. Many parents have a misconception that fevers are a bad thing and a sign that there is some serious underlying illness. This simply is not true. Fever is a normal and healthy response of the body to an illness. The body's immune system releases chemicals that raise the body temperature. This is part of the normal infection-fighting process.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/weeklyquestion/a/122601_ask.htm

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• "Well no one else agree's with me lol...I would have taken her to the ER...maybe I'm just overprotective or something lol....listen to the other mama's advice lol "

It is REALLY hard to see your kids so sick. You just want to make everything ok, and PRONTO. There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes we need to take a deep breath and relax :) Fevers are a good thing...but when it's consistent and the infection doesn't seem to be going away, sometimes you need meds to give your body the boost it needs to kick it.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I dosed her with Tylenol about an hour ago, and she's down to 101.5, so I'm not freaking out anymore. I'll continue to dose every four hours. Hopefully it'll be gone pretty soon!

I'm out of Popsicles!
    mrskrisher

Comment by mrskrisher (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My doc says in a child 3 years old that you do not medicate unless it is over 103 and/or they are acting sick. He gave a list of fevers and ranges and I have followed it and my children have only ever been medicated for a fever once each and they were ACTING very sick and borderline where the doc said to medicate at that age. Fever is the bodies way to deal with things and medicating only delays that. let the fever do it's job as quickly and efficiently as possible and it will go away quicker.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2011