my 22 month old doesn't talk worried!

hi i just have a question my 22 month old only say mama &dada im kind of worried

is this okay ?

betty2214

Asked by betty2214 at 4:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont I was exactley the same about my daughter , she is 2.5 yrs and has only recently started to say more and more words , one day they will surprise you like my daughter did and just come out and start saying things .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• All kids delevope differantly. My friends kid didn't talk at that age either he wold just point and make noises. I'm not sre if he went to speach therapy, but I know soon as he started pre-school he picked it up really fast. Have ou talked to your pediatrition?
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 4:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Give Early Intervention a call and have him evaluated. It won't hurt and if there is a problem he'll get some help!

I had my son evaluated and he was found to have a severe speech delay. He had MAYBE three words and was 22 months (21 adjusted...EI adjusts up to two years for preemies). He started saying more words just before he started speech and has made a LOT of progress since ST has started. He will be starting 2 sessions a week after the first of the year (they do one session a week before 2)

It doesn't mean there is anything really 'wrong" just that he may need a little boost to get started. Nothing wrong with that! If the help is availble so our kids don't have to be frustrated and struggle, why shouldn't we get the help for them?

And if (lord forbid) there isanything wrong, you've started early and can get him even more help!! Calling EI is a win/win situation.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it to much. My aunt didn't talk at all, even saying mama or dada, til she was like 3 and a half.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 6:55 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Have your child evaluated like the 2nd poster suggested....Could be absolutely nothing wrong, but there could be a problem. Wouldn't it be better to know?
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-18-month-old-doesnt-talk-yet-what-should-i-do_6893.bc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I agree with the 2nd poster. Give Early Intervention a call. They will come out and do an evaluation. If there is more than a 30% delay, they will provide therapy for a monthly fee that is income based. Most of the therapy is done in-home or in daycare.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2008