If you are bilingual what language do you think in? How about if you speak 3 or more?

RedDahlia82

Asked by RedDahlia82 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I speak 4 languages total...2 fluently, 1 proficient and 1 beginner...I think in my first language which is English. Sometimes, if there isn't an English word to describe something I will blurt out a foreign word and people will stare at me like I have two heads. Lately, I've begun to curse or complain in French, so I guess when I'm happy I think in English, but when I'm angry I switch to French lol
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It depends on what I'm thinking about. Some thoughts are better expressed in another language. Different languages have words for things the English language doesn't, or phrases English doesn't have an equivalent for. I've had thoughts in multiple languages. It also depends how much I've been using my foreign language skills. If I've been using them a lot, more of my thoughts are in that language. This is just me, though.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I have always wondered this!! Good question!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Absolutely amazing!
    RedDahlia82

Comment by RedDahlia82 (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yes, my first language is German, but I speak American English, English English, French, some Spanish, and I am learning bits of Oneida. . . I also use Sign. It became a hobby of mine in school when I was bored. . . I'd learn a new language. . . Yikes. . . I was a blast on summer vacations. . . lol
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think in English, but sometimes when my girls are getting out of hand I start going off in Spanish without realizing it hahaha. Probably because during the day I'm speaking it so much =P Or sometimes when I'm skyping with my parents and need them to repeat something I'm like 'Que?' and don't realize it heh
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• and yes I think in mostly all of them. . . and yes it gets confusing sometimes and when I go to speak I have to think of who I am around and what language I should speak so they understand me.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I dream in ASL a lot. I asked my Ukranian friend this once and she said it depends on what language she used last. like if she was talking to me in English and then was thinking to herself, it was in English. but if she was talkign with her parents in Ukranian, then the next thoughts she would have would be in Ukranian
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I usually think in English, but I have thought in Spanish before. If you speak 3 or more languages, it may depend one which one you use most often.
    Mari6443

Answer by Mari6443 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011