How can I wean her of her pacifier?

She only take it naps and bedtime. But she is almost 2 1/2 it needs to go. Ideas?

jekr43

Asked by jekr43 at 5:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Introduce a bedtime friend if she doesn't already have one...and just take the pacifier away. Tell her she doesn't need it any more and take it. The first few naps and bedtimes will be rough, but better to get it all over with at once than draw it out and prolong it by "weaning". (we took my oldest son's at 13 months, the third day he went right to sleep with no trouble)

There are also suggestions like clipping the end off so it doesn't work, clipping more off each day until it's gone, the "pacifier fairy" taking them, putting them in a box so they are sent to "someone else who needs them", "give" them to another baby in the family to use.......
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It was easy to wean my son off his paci. He was 18 months, had a cold and was so stuffed up he couldn't breathe through his nose. Therefore, he had to breathe through his mouth and didn't want his paci anymore, so we took it away and he was fine.
    jazztastic

Answer by jazztastic at 8:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• "There are also suggestions like clipping the end off so it doesn't work, clipping more off each day until it's gone" DO NOT do this- pieces could then fall off while your dd is sucking and she could choke on them! Set a date and tell her she is too old for the pacifier any more use the fairy or just let her help you gather up all the pacifiers and throw them away!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• They did a cute little thing on Super Nanny about the paci's. They went around and collected all the paci's, with the child's help. And they told her that the paci fairy was going to come and take them to new babies. So they put the paci's in a bag and tied the bag to a tree outside for the "fairy" to get. Then the next morning there was a new toy that was, of course, left by the paci fairy. LOL. I know it's on the same lines as Santa or the The Tooth Fairy and if you don't like doing that sort of thing with your kids, you may not want to do this either. But I thought it was cute. And the child felt good about giving all her paci's to other new babies.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I haven't dared try it yet, but the nurse at my babies' pediatrician's office told me to cut a hole in the end so it wouldn't be satisfying. She didn't mention clipping more off each day; I see someone else here says this is dangerous. At 2 1/2 the paci fairy thing or giving them to a younger baby might work.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2008