Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got scammed on an apartment

so we put down a deposite on an apartment a few weeks ago and Friday we moved everything 4 hours away from our old home, to move into this apartment and we got here and we cant find the guy. there are peope living in the apartment and say their landlords name is someone completely different than the guy that showed us the apartment.
were in a motel right now, and can stay with my dad and his wife if we dont find somewhere to live by monday but what can we do!?
can we call the police about this??


Asked by agallo004 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 7 (170 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • i would call the cops

    Answer by mamawilbur at 1:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Do you have ANY paperwork, of ANY sort? Did you give this guy any money?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Maybe it was the previous tenant? Yes, you'd probably have to call the cops, but ask the people who are living there who the landlord is and the number and ask to talk to him/her. Maybe they could help you out in some way.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • wow...that is horrible. I would notify the police.

    Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 1:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • hugs


    Answer by mamawilbur at 1:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • CALL THE COPS!!!! Well, first thing in the morning anyways. And if you can find the asshole charge him for your motel expenses as well!

    Answer by shortycmlb at 2:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. I am always shocked at what people will do to others. I would never be able to come up with a plan so horrible much less follow though with it. I would call the police and find out if there is anything you can do and I would also call the actual landlord to see if they can give you a description of the last tenant to see if it might have been the person that did this. Good luck to you, I hope you get answers and I hope you catch the person that did this to you.


    Answer by Peajewel at 3:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • call the cops and hire an attorney.

    Answer by daerca574 at 8:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • When you saw the apartment, were there people living in it?
    Definitely call the police now!
    Do you haev any paperwork?

    Answer by SherriPie at 8:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Well if you have paperwork and what not then you certainly have the right to sue him, but there isn't much the cops can do about and that is likely what they will tell you when you call. I would first try and get a hold of the landlord the current tenants say rented it to them and see if he has anything else open and/or might be able to help you out with finding this person (as someone else mentioned it might be the previous tenant so he might have forwarding address etc).

    Answer by aeneva at 8:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2011