Naming dilemma

It's kind of tradition in my family for at least the oldest girl not to get a middle name. I don't really know how it got started but she(assuming it's a she) would be the forth generation. I felt a little weird about it as a child but now it doesn't bother me and it kinda feels like a connection going back to my great grandma. My husband's Mother thinks it's mean and that it means girls are less then boys. I kind of want her to have a middle name because I did feel weird about it as a child.
So give her a middle name and break the tradition that's gone on the last 103 years or don't and make my MIL unhappy?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Baby Names

• I'm all for tradition...all the girls in my family have had the same middle name for a couple of generations....I continued it with my daughter and I hope she continues it with hers...good luck with your decision mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• IDK. this is a hard one. i say stick with the tradition. she will always have the option of adding a middle name when she turns 18.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 2:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I say go with your gut. It sounds to me like your not just worried about it upsetting MIL if you don't give your dd a middle name. If that really upset you as a child I would consider breaking tradition. Don't let other people influence your choice, do what you want to do.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• who cares, she'll still love the baby.
    maybe use a two part fist name?
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 6:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• its your baby do what makes you happy, cant spend your life trying to please everyone, its a cute tradition and if its important to you then do it, maybe find out more about it, how is started? why? and mayb tell you mil these facts so she can understand it more.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 8:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• You shouldn't do anything to make anyone happy. Your MIL isn't having this child, she won't be taking care of it. You are her mother and along with your husband, it is your decision on what the baby is named. If you don't want to break the family tradition (which I'm assuming your husband is fine with), then don't. It's a special thing. My family doesn't have any traditions when it comes to names so I can't really say what I'd do. But I know I wouldn't give my child a middle name just to please someone else.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I don't understand your MIL's logic. How would your daughter not having a middle name make her lesser than boys? That doesn't make sense at all.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• How about a 2 part 1st name like Annaleigh, Maryanne, Marielle, Marybeth, etc.? Then she'd have 2 names in 1? That way you don't break tradition it sounds like she has 2 names.
    Anonymous

• First do whatever you and your husband want... don't think about anyone else... do you want to stick with the tradition or not? It sound like you would rather use a middle name... I think that is what you should do then.
    It is hard to break a tradition and I was going to suggest something like the pp.... you might want to do something like Lily-Grace, Anna- Claire, Addison-Jean, Emma-Leigh, Cora- Belle.... 2 names for the first name and then leave out the middle name.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• In certain circumstances, tradition can be important to me. This would not be a tradition I would consider important or be interested in honoring, but that's just me. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than your kid having to explain to everyone that she doesn't have a middle name.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2011