Do you think its okay not to let your spouse know if you have extra money?

yummysmummy

Asked by yummysmummy at 1:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• I do that sometimes, stash cash then when he gets worked up about needing money for something or another I whip it out and everything is good =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I tell my grown daughters to never let their man know they have extra money. I think women should always have their own secret money. Men usually do and don't feel guilty about it.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Not mine, he'd spend it, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

•  

We buy what we need when we need it though my dh has a stash that he thinks he has hidden.....lol

DatilPepperMom

Answer by DatilPepperMom at 2:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I'm SAHM so when he gives me "allowance".....money he just gives me to do whatever the hell I want with it...I stash some away to save so I will be able to afford to get him birthday/father's day/anniversary gifts without having to ask him for the money to get them LOL....so yeah I think it's fine lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It depends on how much money you're talking about, and your reasons for not telling. If you have a spouse with a gambling problem, you probably have a very good reason not to talk about ANY extra money. On the other hand, if, under normal circumstances, you experienced a windfall that is a significant amount of money to you and your spouse, it seems to me that you would mention that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• No I don't think it is ok. Especially as a stay at home mom, despite the money being ours I really feel like he is the one making it and should know where it goes. It would make me feel guilty all of the time.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:55 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I don't keep that information hidden from him but at times he'll forget all about it. =D
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Having a small amount set aside for a little treat for yourself once in a while I think is fine.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• yes. As long as the bills are paid and everything else is met. I don't see the harm. I could see how the other person would think you are blowing the income. As long as the check book is balanced it's ok. I hid tip money I got from my boss. I know it is not the same but what he don't know wont hurt him.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 12:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011