Engagement rings.

I want my center stone to be a carat but I'm not sure if I want a solitaire or something with smaller diamonds as well. The only one's I've seen that I really like are $2,000+. Is that asking too much? My fiancee will get me whatever I want, even if he would have to take out a loan. But I don't want to be stuck up about it. What did your ring cost approx.? What carat is it? Do you know somewhere that sells good quality fair priced engagement rings? I kinda like the vintage look.

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 1:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Shopping

• mine is 3/4ths of a carrot! i used my great grandmothers diamonds from her wedding rings in my ring, the setting and all cost us $900! we went to a local jeweler they have much better prices and r able to give u a great discount sometimes! my family is friends with the owner so we got a good deal! the chain stores cant cut prices like a local store can! and all the chain stores sell the same rings so a lot of other women will have ur same ring! i love knowing that i wont find anyone with my same ring!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Lol my ring was a surprise and I hate it...he couldnt afford to get me a "real" ring so it's 14ct gold with a cubic zirconia as the solitaire....I don't hate it because it's not real...I hate it because it's not my style....first I don't like yellow gold but I don't think I ever told him that so...not his fault....and the "diamond" is so big it's kind of gaudy looking...I would have been much happier with a simple band...but thankfully I will be getting a new ring next year with our tax return money...I never told DH I didnt like the ring, he just decided that once we have the money I should get a "real" one
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My ring is 1/2ct and white gold. Have you looked on overstock.com? I've bought several pieces of jewlery from there including my wedding ring, they have very high quality rings for great prices.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Have you tried on rings? I recommend trying some on before deciding on size. I know I have very delicate, thin fingers and my ring is either a half carat or .75 I can't remember, but any bigger would look super gaudy on my little fingers. Mine was about $1500, but we bought it in downtown Chicago (after hubby graduated bootcamp, so not much time and not much of a choice in places to go), so we probably could have gotten it for less elsewhere.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I was so happy when my husband surprised me when he popped the question(my engagement ring was my chirstmas present) and months before he had asked questions spaced weeks apart like what color do you like and what type of gold ( my engagement ring is a white gold ring with a emerald and wedding band is custom made with diamonds and emeralds) i've never asked the price but it never mattered he got me the perfect ring and i would never change it
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 6:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• mine is a 1/2 carat, it was $600, my husband picked it out and i do love it very much. It doesn't matter the price to me. but keep looking around for one, check out the jewelery websites.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Mine is my grandmother's that my grandfather bought in a bar for $300. LOL. It's about a carat center stone with 22 little diamonds around it in a vintage platinum setting. If you want a vintage setting, I would suggest antique stores or maybe even checking out pawn shops - you never know what will show up there. Good Luck - and Congratulations!
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 7:26 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I don't have an engagement ring but I also didn't want one back then because I knew rings sticking up would get caught with clothing's or starch up the baby.  So, I didn't want one but now if I was looking for one it would be a pear shape style with matching earring to match it.  wink

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• um....you guys are just starting out and you want your fiancee to go into debt to buy you an engagment ring? WHY? will it pay your mortgage or put food on your table or make you a better person? have him buy something pretty and cheap...and start a savings account for your future...
    goodi2shooz

Answer by goodi2shooz at 4:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I disagree with goodi.....but don't go into crazy debt... WHO EVER SAYS GET A CHEAP WEDDING RING??? that is the <> strangest thing I have ever heard.... this is a special occasion, make it special. I have a .80 carat ring... with 20 smaller diamonds on the side(almost like an eternity ring) and my wedding band has 22 small diamonds around it, like the eternity ring also.... look for a diamond wholesaler in your city. I live in Houston so it was easy to find one... we ordered a .78 but that one was sold before we could get it, then she found another comparable, but that was also sold before she could get it, so she upgraded us to the .80 and she ate the difference!!
    my ring was $3200, the same ring at a mall jewelry store was like $1000 more and my diamond is waaaay better quality than the diamonds in the mall. (I might have a pic of my ring on my profile if you want to see what I got)
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 10:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2011