Do your children play video games?

I know video games are a touchy subject for alot of moms. Some think they are awful and a total brain-drain, while other moms just view them as another toy. So what is your opinion about them? Do you allow video games? Do you have rules regarding them?

My kids ages 12, 10, 8, 6, and 5 all have a nintendo ds and we have a family xbox with a kinect. I only allow my kids 3o mins of video games on weekdays and an hour on weekends. I have to approve of the games, nothing violent, and alot of the games they own are learning games. The kinect is a great way for the kids to excersice when they aren't able to play outside. I live in a rural area so my kids take the ds when we have to drive out of town, it's a great way to keep them comtent for an hour or two.

lovinlifewith5

Asked by lovinlifewith5 at 1:55 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have no problem with them as long as they aren't sitting there all day. We have an xbox 360, a Wii (that isn't working right now) and each kid has a DS (thanks to my dad...my 5yo just got the new 3ds for her birthday). They're fun. They play whatever. My husband was giving our 9yo son and his best friend pointers on Call of Duty today. The boys were having a blast but after an hour or so he kicked them outside because it was nice outside. We also made the girls (10, 8 and 5) put up the DSs and go outside.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Video games are a-okay in our house. It's not like the kids are parked in front of it all day. In fact, I can count on one hand the times my 5 year old is even on her DS every week. Video games are also something fun to do together as a family.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My fiance allows his 11 year old son to play video games but i hate video games and I refuse to let my 9 year old daughter play them. The timing that you choose for them to play is great, also. Good for you.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 2:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We have a Wii that my five year old daughter sometimes plays. We only play it as a family and I think it's great family time for us. She also plays on Nick Jr.'s website on my computer sometimes. My husband is a video game lover, but I hope our children won't play too often. I prefer to play things like Wii where we can play as a family instead of handheld games, just personally.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My DSs would play all day long if I let them. The other day, I let my 4 yr. old play for a few hours until his brothers came home. I was sicker than a dog. I didn't want to get out of bed that is how bad I felt. X-Box and Netflix were great babysitters the 2 days that I was ill. Normally, I don't allow them to play Sunday - Thursday. It is one hour each for all 3 of them on Friday and Saturday.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yeah she gets some time with games. But honestly she'd rather be doing other stuff. She's not big on game consoles but loves to play games in the net.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• my three and two yr old have mobi go's we use them for long car rides or dr. appt for the little one (he has alot of them) . we have an xbox with kinect as well but they dont play that yet. they will im sure.
    afwifeandmommy3

Answer by afwifeandmommy3 at 3:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My DD is too lil for them yet, but I have no problem with her playing. There is so much you can learn while playing different video games that I don't view them as a waste of time at all. Here is a cool blog post for anyone interested! http://enjoylifeunschooling.com/2010/08/im-a-level-39-gnome-warlock/
    TSNDDY

Answer by TSNDDY at 4:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Mine isnt really old enough to be interested in video games but since both me and DH play them on a regular basis I won't have a problem with her playing them for a limited time each day
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We all play video games, it's a great family time. When I got my son his XBOX, he started playing war games, which I used to be completely against, but I had to say, it has open his interest on WWII, and I love getting him information and teaching him about it. In a way, it can be a good teaching tool
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 6:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2011