How can I cope with child's anger?

Hi everyone, How can I cope with a 5 year- old girl who pulls her hair when gets angry? Once she told to her father that she wants to drown herself in swimming pool which scared me to death when heard that from father! :( please help me!

NasMoj

Asked by NasMoj at 6:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take her to a therapist. It sounds like it would do her some good.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 8:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Anger doesn't come from no where....something, somewhere in this child's life has warped her coping skills. Stop worrying about yourself and get this child some help!
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have dealt with a similar situation and I agree that something in her life is causing this issue. If you are going through divorce or other kids are in the house she may feel like everything going on that maybe wrong is her fault. I went through a divorce a few years back and my son started to say, "I feel worthless" "I'm stupid and I hate myself." I stepped out of my box and realized that I didn't stop to tell my 4 year old, it wasn't his fault. Also, look into your life and see if there is alot of anger around. Smile when you see her and try to keep positive. If something life changing hasn't occured, I would say go to the doc NOW. I also suggest, to spend at least an hour each night with her reassuring that you love her. Read a book, play a game, color whatever she may want. Over time children will start expressing what is really through art and toys. It worked with my son. I wish you good luck.
    Sillymemommy11

Answer by Sillymemommy11 at 2:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2008