No kind of exam??

OK, so I'm 34 weeks pregnant with my second baby. When I think about being pregnant with my son, I recall my doctors examining me often in my third trimester. I'm not completely sure that that's accurate, I could be wrong... it's been a while since then. But, anyway, this pregnancy I have only been examined twice (my first prenantal appt. I got a pap smear and some time in my second trimester I got a pelvic exam because I was feeling pressure). I have yet to be examined at all since I've been in my third trimester. I had a doctor appointment this past Friday and I told my doctor that I'm feeling alot of pelivic pressure, pressure in my lower stomach, and also on my tailbone. I know this is normal (and thats all the doctor told me) but should he not have examined me to see if I am dilating or something? I am 34 weeks and have no idea whether or not I have dilated at all!! Am I overreacting? Should the doctors be examining me yet? I thought that by now, I should be getting examined at every appointment. Am I wrong? Thanks!

expecting girl toddler boy

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 5:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Your doctor is correct, you are worrying needlessly. Examinations will only happen if the doctor thinks you are in labor or there is some reason to expect that things are not progressing normally. I do remember thinking the same as you, though, because when you're pregnant you do worry. It's the hormones and stress of being 34 weeks pregnant. Just relax. It's all fine. Good luck. :D
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I was worried about that too, my last preg i was checked often in my last trimester but i did have some problems. The doctor I see now starts checking at 35 weeks and every visit after that
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My first pregnancy I wasn't even offered a vaginal exam until 37 weeks. My second I had only one exam when I found out I was pregnant, and none after that, none in labor either. Having an exam doesn't tell you any useful information, it only makes you wonder why/why not you are dialating.
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011