DH cussing infront of DD

My husband CONSTANTLY cusses infront of our 15 mo old dd. And not just the occasional hell or damn, it's f***k ALLLLLL the time. Anytime I say something to him he gets mad and says "Fine I'll just stop talking then" I told him to just try to watch it front of dd, I don't want her going around saying that kind of stuff when she's a baby! And if she ever says something like that infront of my Gpa he will spank her in a heart beat. I just don't understand why he has to get so defensive about it. It's not that hard to NOT say F every other word!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• That's really childish of him. Does he not understand that she will start saying it to? And that it's inappropriate for toddlers to use the F word in their vocabularies? And that in certain situations it will create hardships for her? (ie, saying it at preschool or at playdates with other kids).
    Hey, I'm all about cursing (unfortunately) but NOT in front of the kids. Tell your husband that it's time to act like an adult, that life really isn't all about him at this point and he needs to put concerns for your child ahead in front.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• tell him to stop saying it and when he throws a hissy fit tell him "maybe that is best" and leave it at that. I hate people who can't accept when they are wrong and try to play a pity party card.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Look at her and say "Don't say that, it's a ugly boy word"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My DH is the same way! I catch him and call him out every time he says a cuss word or bad word. He says he doesn't even realize he's doing it. Its 'cause he works around guys all day who cuss all day. When we were first married and before he started that job he rarely cussed. I HATE it b/c my 2 1/2 has picked up all the words now and says them and I'm constantly having to give her spankings for saying them, even though its my DH's fault she picked them up in the first place.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I am the worst to curse in front of my children and they have only ever repeated me a handful of times in their lives. They were taught young that those are grown up words and when they are 18 they can use them too. Obviously 18 is a joke but it's a number that gets there attention. My kids are 3 and 6, the 6 year old having developmental delays. Not that I have no tried to cut back on how much I say in front of them, it's just that it's just as much of an answer to teach them that those are words that are okay for grown ups if they choose to use them but never okay for a child to say. The few times they repeated I gave them a very stern look and explained this to them. I also let them know that saying 'grown up words' was going to get them into time outs. After the time out they tell me a better word they could have used. Maybe I am just lucky it's never been a real issue.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• tell him to knock it off and grow the fuck up (hahah pun intended)!! we stopped cursing when DS was around 1 and he started repeating. kids are like little sponges they repeat and remember EVERYTHING.
    poshkat

Answer by poshkat at 10:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Both my SO & I have been known to curse in front of DS. He knows that he isn't allowed to do everything adults can do. When he's older I won't have an issue with it, unless he is cursing *at* people. There is a time an place for everything & as long as he knows not to speak that way in fromt of extended family, teachers, employers, etc. It's fine with me, I don't curse in those situations either.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I don't get society's obsession with cursing being bad. I curse in front of my children all the time. Although I will admit I have been cutting back (it was a Lent thing). My sons curse too. However, they have been taught to only do it at home since society views it in such a negative light. Even though my children are only 4 and 2 they already understand this. Children can understand differences.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My family swears but when we found out i was pregnant we decided we would use a swear jar and trust me when you're being charged 50 cents for mild swear words and a dollar for harsh ones you start cutting back (we started back when i was still pregnant) when DD came we doubled it let's just say we now only have maybe 5 dollars in there at any given time .........now this works for my side of the family and DH and i but when it comes to his side of the family they can say $h!T and if we ask them to back off on the swear words they just start saying more and more foul words till the point that i had to get toe to toe with MIL SIL and FIL and telling them to shut up or pack up they were so shocked with me standing up to them they've cut it down considerably i hope you can work this out
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 9:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2011