How does your family commemorate the anniversary of Jesus' Death?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Interesting answers. She didn't ask about the resurrection but about His crucifixion. If we can we go to the 2 pm Mass that observes His Death. After this Mass, the Eucharist is taken from the tabernacle, and everything is stripped from the Altar. The Crucifix is taken down and laid across the steps of the Altar. Later that night we go and pray.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We don't.

We celebrate the coming of Spring, aka Ostara.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We all eat dinner together and look for eggs.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We go to church, spend time with family, do some crafts.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We don't really have a set tradition.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Honestly we don't do much for Good Friday. We more celebrate Easter.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We now spend the biggest part of the day at Church with service that morning, then a pot luck dinner and an egg hunt for the little ones and a scavenger hunt for the 'older' kids, and games and fellowship. When my kids and nieces/nephews were younger, my siblings and I each went to our respective Churches that morning, then we got together in the afternoon for a big dinner, and an egg hunt for all the kids.
    txmom-o-3

Answer by txmom-o-3 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We pray,and thank Him for the sacrifice He made, to do for us what we are unable to do for ourselves, save our souls from eternal damnation, separation from Him,and give us the gift of forgiveness we aren't worthy of,and eternal life with Him in Heaven. We also watch "The Passion of the Christ", unsettling as it is to watch, and on Easter Sunday we read His amazing story out of the Bible,and we give thanks again, to Him for keeping His promise to arise on the 3rd day, proving He is the Son of the Living God, and conquering death for all.

cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• we don't really 'commemorate' his death annually. we live it, daily, by remembering his sacrifice and what it means to us. we are thankful for his actions, we strive to be more selfless/Christlike, although we fail miserably at times. (i'm practicing turning my cheek right now, obby. :)) )
    everytime i see a cross, representative of his death to me (idcare what it originated as, means nothing to me), i am reminded. its not a once-a-year holiday, KWIM?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Well put, dull! I agree, while we do extra things on Good Friday,and Easter, the best way to commemorate Jesus' sacrifice is by living a life that gloryfies Him,and advances the Kingdom of God daily.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011