How common is listeria?

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I was currently reading about how your supposed to eat lunch meat or deli meat and I was like oh crap cause I've some and I wasn't aware of this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I ate it when i was pregnant with both kids, read up more on it.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My Dr told he had never see a case of it, however it is a potential danger to your baby so they tell to cook the meat to steaming just in case to kill any bacteria.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• According to the Center of Disease Control (CDC), an estimated 2,500 persons become seriously ill each year in the United States and among these, 500 will die. According to research, pregnant women account for 27% of these cases. CDC claims that pregnant women are 20 times more likely to become infected than non-pregnant healthy adults. So considering the Billions of people (aprox 31 billion) in America 2500 is NOT a very high percentage
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• vbruno

• As far as I know, not that common. There have been outbreaks of it in the past (when deli meat, or whatever, becomes contaminated in the factory), but it does not happen often at all. They warn of it when you're pregnant because it can be especially dangerous. Just be careful of cross contaminating your raw meat, etc, and everything you eat, eat it in moderation.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I would think restaurant food would be the most dangerous the staff might not wash there hands well enough but baloney from a grocery store the germs have ben cooked and sealed out remember the fronteir people and they had baby out of the trail and just kept going my grandma actually still had some of hers at home 11 so we are tough worring is bd tooo ugh HUG freak out JUstkidding my 4 survived try to still laugh really helps the oxygen when you laugh
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It is not something that I worried about with any of my pregnancies, I just ate what was a part of my every day diet.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• its not. i ate cold deli meats and uncooked hot dogs right out of the package pretty much every day of the 9 months
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2011