I need to work more with my twin three year olds.

My first born was kind of a people pleaser, so it was easy to work with him on numbers, shapes, and letters. But my twins could care less, (it seems) to work on any of those things. They still don't know their colors, for crying out loud! But I was hoping for suggestions on ways I could get them interested in learning here at home. If you are a homeschooling mama, I bet you could give me all kinds of advice!

McGregor

Asked by McGregor at 7:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Work "teachable moments" into every day. Like at the grocery store say can you get mommy the red apples, the milk carton is a blue rectangle with a triangle on top, ... when they are playing blocks talk about the colors and shapes, with playdoh make letters and talk about the letters and colors. I think kids get it more when lessons are worked into daily play, not a sit down and learn type of thing.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I know what you mean.My first surprised with what she knew that I did not sit down and teach her. My second doesn't really care, but we are finding she has some learning disabilities... But definately play is the best way to teach.. Use paints and coloring. Get count blocks or bears and play school. Get them invovled in play with your other children. too. I try not to run groceries with all the children its more hassle than teachable especially since the twins. LOL. But if you are brave it could be a wonderful lesson just labeling things around the store, the produce aisle would be a great place to start, lots of colors and shapes.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2008