Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Medicaid question

I applied for Medicaid for pregnant women about a month and a half ago, got accepted and received my card. My current children have a Medicaid card and a pcm card thru optima health. My question is that I have not received one yet and really need to go to the Dr. Do I NEED a pcm card(or will I even receive one?) to go to the Dr. or can I just use my Medicaid card. I dont even have a Dr. right now so I still have to find one, but as I will be 12 weeks on tuesday and have not been seen AND have Diabetes I know that I really need to be seen. I just cant afford it until all my Medicaid is set up. I live in Virginia too, if that helps

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

Answers (8)
  • I'd call the 1-800 number on the back of the card and ask them or call a doctor's office and ask.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • Just pick out a doctor (or get a referral from the referral line if your hospital has one) and call them. They can tell you what you'll need for your first appt.

    Answer by Renee3K at 10:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • you should be able to go to any doctor that accepts medicaide. just ask the doctors office. i was able to choose my own doc when i was preg and on medicaide. good luck

    Answer by aschwarz06 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • You should be able to use your medicaid card. I don't have a separate card for my HMO, I just use my medicaid card.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • I don't know if all states are the same, but in my state (and a few others I know of) they'll pay your last 3 months of medical bills if you haven't yet - so there should be no problem with you just going, telling the new doc, and going from there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • You should be able to go through just Medicaid for now and then add the card for the other provider if/when you get it.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • They will use your medicaid card for now. I live in Virginia and that is what I had to for my kids last year.

    Answer by ashisamom at 11:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

  • I have Medicaid and to be seen all I need is my Medicaid card.

    Answer by jessiskinner200 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.