Would you hold your child back from kingergarten?

if your childs pre-school teacher was reccommending your child go tot he half day K because they were not ready for all day due to maturity and social ablilities would you listen to the teacher or send them ahead to full day anyway?

aschwarz06

Asked by aschwarz06 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would decide based on my own observations. I don't think kids need full day kindergarten anyways...half day is sufficient.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• depends.... was preschool full day?

I'd try and find a full day preschool or learning based daycare (and/or a ton of classes of the summer like swimming, t ball, etc) and get their maturity into control. My son started kinder late and I am regretting it. School ends next month, too late now. My personal opinion, give them a chance to shine.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It depends on how severe maturity and social abilities lacked. DD went to pre-school for 3 yrs. But she also has a social anxiety and would not have done well in Kindergarten until she learned to open up and talk to others.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• these parents i know dont want to hold him back simply because they do not want to pay for daycare. how horrible they will make the child suffer through school ( i am his daycare teacher and know hes not NEAR ready for full day) just so they dont have to pay for daycare
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• How do you know that? Did they tell you that or are you making assumptions?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• First, a preschool or day care teacher can NOT hold a child back from going to Kindergarten. They can give their opinion but that is as far as it can go. It is a decision that is up to the PARENTS of the child NOT you. Also, Kindergarten doesn't start for 5 months ish so there is plenty of time for the child to mature and gain the social skills he will need. You have to let the parents make the decision and not worry about it. Their child their choice. Sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• they told us they dont want to pay daycare mom gets off work right as school gets out and grabs the kids. we live in a small town and there are no full day preschool programs here. He is at daycare every day after preschool and has a hard time there too. He is extreamly sensitive and burst out in anger when he gets upset. He also has a hard time staying out of trouble at preschool almost everyday the school calls mom.
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I DID keep my DD back a year. She has a summer birthday, had never been to daycare or anything like that, and after 1 year of preschool at age 4 just was NOT ready for kindergarten - academically she was doing well, but socially she just wasn't ready. She's in her 2nd year of preschool right now at age 5 and is doing so much better - she did very well on the kindergarten readiness test, socially she is worlds ahead of where she was last year. I am so glad I chose to put her through preschool a 2nd time, and she's loved it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• no i would not, my child would either get with the program when school starts and mature or they would figure out how to fit in. My kid WILL go to school with children her age
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I would listen or try to work with him to develop the skills before school starts.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2011