Significance of Wednesday service?

I have seen a lot of posts and churches have Wednesday evening service. Is there special significance to Wednesday or is it that it is the middle of the week? I understand Saturday (sabbath) and Sunday, but am trying to figure out if there is something special about Wednesday.

This is out of genuine curiosity. If anyone wants to make disrespectful comments, take them elsewhere....this is NOT the place for them!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Around here, most churches call their Wed. night service "Bible Study", so it's more like a Sunday School class. At my church, it's like a regular Sunday service. Alot of people have to work on Sunday mornings and the Wed. night service is the only one they are able to attend.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I don't think there's any significance. It's just the middle of the week...it's more convinient for some to attend that day...and others just want the extra fellowship. :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It's been awhile since I went to a Wednesday night service and miss doing so, but my work schedule doesn't allow me to. When I did it refreshed and revived me spiritually, something we all need in our busy stressed out schedules.
    Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 11:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Just an extra day to fellowship :)
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• growing up i was taught that it was just to encourage the congregation during the middle of the week...so they wouldnt have to wait till Sunday if they needed a group worship uplifting. i knew one lady that said it made her schedule time for God b/c otherwise she'd make an excuse to not do a personal Bible study.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If I remember correctly, and often I am not entirely accurate but on the right path, it was that Sundays were for normal services and Wednesdays were set aside for "Prayer requests" and this had started beck with early protestants and evangelical branches as an offshoot of Ash Wednesday but that continued throughot the year. As time progressed Wednesday services changed to incorporate Biblical studies and more cotemporary services.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• The ones we used to attend were more of a Bible study kind of thing or for new member classes. For some I guess it could be a mid-week spiritual "pick me up".
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think they're just trying to get together more often to encourage each other like the Bible says to do.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I suppose that six days is a long time between brainwashing sessions. The Nazarene church had services on Weds. nites and also on Fri. nites. I never quite knew why. I guess they feel that they have to keep the christian mind from dwelling on reality, and that the more often the church is open, the stronger the blind "faith".
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011