How to get DD to stop calling DH by his name?

DH and I have 3 children together (4 total--the oldest is my "bonus" daughter)...DH have been arguing a lot lately, and without realizing it, I stopped calling him "Daddy" and started calling him his name (only when I'm talking to him, not when I talk to the kids...Normally, if the kids are around, I say "Hey, Daddy" or "Hey Hunny" or something...)...Now ODD thinks SHE should call him by his name... And of course, he gets upset and tells her not to call him that. I keep reinforcing the "daddy" thing, telling her just like she calls me mommy, she needs to call him daddy, etc etc. But she keeps doing it! The way both of us were raised, it was disrespectful to call your parent by their name, so this isn't something we want to let go on. What else can I do?

P.S. ODD is just about to turn 3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just keep reinforcing her to address him as daddy. Anytime she calls him by his name stop her and ask her to restart her sentence with daddy.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It's a phase and it will pass. It has nothing to do with her being disrespectful, she is 3. My son did it with me and my parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It might be better to ignore it or say something like, you mean daddy. My niece's kids did this for a brief period and it was just in fun. My niece didn't let it bother her and it passed quickly.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• agreed about phase. and in a few years maturity will do it for annoyance purposes too!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I always just looked at my kids and said "Who??? You mean daddy?" I pretend like I have no idea who they're talking about til they get it right.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• She just heard something new and thought it was different. She'll stop. Just reinforce the "daddy" stuff. I let my son call me by my first name when he went to the hospital for stitches. I felt so guilty for not watching him closer when he fell. When his little sister started doing it I asked him to help me make her stop and for him to call me mommy again. He did. Small kids love to help. Just tell her you need her to be your helper and make daddy feel better by calling him daddy. Tell her it makes him sad when she calls him by his name. That might help

Answer by admckenzie at 11:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My kids are 7 and 4 and tried this with us not too long ago. We told them that they call us Mom/Mommy or Dad/Daddy, that is the only thing we answer to for them. Then, if they continued calling us by our first names we just didn't respond until they used Mom or Dad. It took a couple months, but the kids stopped.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• just keep reinforcing it and tell him not to respond to her at all when she does it maybe you do the corecting and he just acts like no one even talking
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2011