Can somebody please explain Asperger's to me because quite frankly... I don't get it. ?

From what I've heard/read it "SEEMS" that any "quirk" a person has making it clear they aren't perfect, means they have Autism. If you have a speech impediment then it means they have Asperger's.

I am NOT being "smart", I'm explaining how it comes across to me. And I'm asking for personal reasons so please don't think I'm bashing anyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• ok not a perfessional or anything just coming from someone who knows people/children that have both.. From what I gather aspergers is what they diagnose you with when your an adult and they have missed it as a kid and it is what autism develeps into when you get older and have been diagnosed as autistic as a child. Does that make sense? It's iike aspergers is the "mature" version kinda. Again i am not a doctor this is just from what i have observed/ been told by these people. Their is way more to it but that is kinda the gist of it.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Maybe if you did some research, it wouldn't appear that way to you. Autism isn't just a little quirk, and neither is Asperger's. Asperger's is on the mild end of the spectrum, and is mostly identified with mild to moderate sensory and social issues. it's more than just quirks. Children with Asperger's (and adults as well) cannot read facial ques. They cannot figure out sarcasm. They don't understand that hitting someone hurts them because they didn't mean to hurt them, so they must not have hurt them.

It's not a black and white answer, but it's a start.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My husband doesn't have a speech impediment and he has Asperger's. For children with Asperger's, the symptoms are often things like....Not picking up social cues, disliking change, lacking empathy, not understanding changes in tone (can't tell you are joking), talking formally, avoiding eye contact or just staring, odd body posture, preoccupied with one or two topics and love to stay on t hem and know EVERYTHING about them, sensitive to overstimulation.

Ummm, as an adult, my hubby doesn't always pick up on social cues, lacks empathy, doesn't always understand you are being sarcastic (but he is a lot), is preoccupied with things and hates to be in crowds (even of like 10 people). People with Asperger's tend to be highly intelligent and have high expectations for themselves and those around them.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 11:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• An "Aspey" is high functioning Autistic. They can function in society and live normal lives. It's their mentality and the way their thought process is. There is an oddness about them. They don't react to common everyday situations as a "normal" person. For instance they don't have the ability to recongnise when they have hurt someones feelings. They lack empathy. They have to have the same routine and don't like change. Their social skills are not the same as a "normal" person. Usually "Aspeys" are VERY smart. They range in the Genius catagory. It's likely Einstine had it as well as Bill Gates. I did alot of research for my daughter. Hope this helps.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
    Dislike any changes in routines.
    Appear to lack empathy.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My daughter has it. It is a short circuit in the wiring of the brain. My suggestion is to visit autismspeaks.org And they can explain it better than I can.
    Tundra-Rose

Answer by Tundra-Rose at 11:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i know a boy who has it and the parents know he has it and completely ignore it. In fact, they pulled him out of school to be home schooled when they found out instead of dealing with the issue. It's so sad. Whenever he does something completely inappropriate or just plain out of line, they laugh, which leads him to believe his behavior is normal. He is 9 and can't bath himself or wipe himself after #2. He cries over the smallest little thing and EVERYTHING is about him, which is part of austism. His mom is pregnant and he cried when he found out I'm pregnant because he wanted to be the only kid expecting a baby sis/bro. Yet, when he did that right in front of me his mom rolled her eyes and didn't explain his behavior wasn't appropriate. Poor kid isn't going to learn how to function in society as an adult with irresponsible parents like that... They're motto apparently... Ignore the issue, it will correct itself????
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:39 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• corbymom531, I did do research. As I said... I've heard and I've READ. I also didn't say Autism or Asperger's were quirks. I said "it "SEEMS" that any "quirk" a person has.... means they have Autism".

To everyone else, thank you for your replies. This is exactly why I'm confused. I know a small child (relative) who was told they have Asperger's. They fit into some of these things but not into others.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• not every aspie child has every syptem....but the things the rest of the ladys posted is just about right.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2011