Anyone know any home remedies to get rid of fleas and kill them? ill try anything!

my neighbors have a dog and its gets into my yard and brings fleas over so when ui let my dog out he gets them and brings them in so my 2cats get them and now im getting bites and there in my carpet. i gotta get rid of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Whatever you use, after you treat and they are dead, you MUST empty your vacuum!! Flea's breed in the bag or container's dust. You will keep getting infected. Also. Treat your pets with those med's that prevent your pets from getting flea's. Advantage is a brand name one. Your Vet can give you pills you give the pet once a month to prevent them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Sorry, but there is no effective "Home" remedy for fleas. Treat your dog with a flea pill or topical, treat your yard with a spray on chemical. Treat your house.

For the dog - we use Comfortis as it kills the adults in 30 minutes and keeps them from laying "viable" eggs for a month - no fleas! It works better than Frontline.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Comfortis is the best for dogs. Mine have been taking it awhile now and I havent seen any fleas since, and we tried every other product but my older dog still got them. You can buy it at the Vets office.
    On your furniture and carpet you can use Borax. Buy some and sprinkle it on everything, but do not allow kids or animals on the area while the borax is on there. Let it set 2-3 hours, come home and vaccuum.

Answer by gemgem at 12:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We didn't opt for home rememdies with fleas...we wanted them gone asap so we use Frontline. Works like a charm for us!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I work in animal care and one thing that works great for your HOME is something called Odor Ban! It's a cleaner that help eliminate odor and in some magical way get rid of fleas! For the animal, I would definitely go with frontline or advantage. if your looking to save some money, just treat the animal that go outside! (on a monthly basis) Whatever Animals go outside will consistantly continue to bring fleas inside unless they have frontline or advantage. Once you use the flea preventative and get them out of your house the inside animals will remain flea free... Also you can do some searching oline because there are some great websites that sell flea preventative for much cheaper than your vet. 1800petmeds.com ... is one to get you started
    JennaG05

Answer by JennaG05 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Why don't you just get a good spray and put it on your kitties and get one for your carpet as well?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If you are looking for non-chemical option comfortise(Each chewable tablet is formulated to provide a minimum spinosad dosage of 13.5 mg/lb (30 mg/kg). Spinosad is a member of the spinosyns class of insecticides, which are non-antibacterial tetracyclic macrolides. Spinosad contains two major factors, spinosyn A and spinosyn D, derived from the naturally occurring bacterium, Saccharopolyspora spinosa. - per the FDA) and borax are your best options.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Yes, borax works, but if the fleas are in the outside environment, without long term protection your dogs will keep bringing them in. One flea lays 1000 eggs.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My friend swears if you bath your pet in Dawn dish detergent ,it kills fleas, i have never tried it so I can't say if it does or not.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Thanks for all the answers. I just sprayed my dog and gave him a extremely good 2hr bath. I think the fleas are coming from next door into my yard cause after i got him clean and made sure no fleas where on him they seem to be just jumping on his legs so ima have to figure something out. I also attempted to spray the cats but didnt work so well...i got scratched. im definately gonna try the borax. ive used advantage before but it didnt work so well. im thinking about doing the borax and well thats setting taking all the 3animials for a flea dip and after that start using frontline and see if it helps. i just found out im pregnant a few days ago and i really wanna solve this and get it regulated before the baby comes. hopefully, i wont be keeping my brothers cats for him anymore either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2011