Did anyone not know how to pay their bills growing up?

Growing up my mother never paid her bills. We were always living in the ghetto, poor, and homeless. If you dared questioned her about her spending she would cuss you out. When I got older I had a lot of trouble with paying bills cause I knew to pay them but not HOW to pay them (making budget, making calls to companies, spending within my limits). Money issues is what messed me up in the end. I plan on teaching my kid what I wasn't taught.

So who taught you about money? How was money treated in your family?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 12:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• My family taught me some about money. A lot of it was trial and error as an adult. More error than trial! I plan to educate my kids a little better on the subject. My son is 6 and is already learning to manage his 'game dollars' He is given a 20 dollar monopoly bill in the morning and he can 'spend' it or save it. Each dollar is worth 1 min. He can spend earn and save these dollars. he can earn extra 5 and 10 min amounts iwth extra chores and good behavior. Sometimes he gets mad because he chose to 'spend' them on something silly like playing with the weather map on the wii. Sometimes he is mad he used them all at once and was out of min by lunch. He is learning to make wise choices. We will open him a checking account at about 10 or 11 to save and manage real money.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My mother hated paying bills and more often than not didn't. She especially didn't pay medical bills, and for the first couple of years after I left home I didn't pay them either. Thankfully it didn't take me too long to realize I had to. So I cleared everything up and have been paying all my bills on time as often as possible. (not to be confused with financial difficulty that a few years ago resulted in filing bankruptcy.)
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My mother paid the bills but I never saw her do it. I married at 16 and my dh paid the bills. I had no clue how to do it. Later when I was a single mom I paid them but never worked out the budget thing. If a bill came in and I had money I paid it. It was much later that I learned how to manage money ...except for saving. I never mastered that.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I was repsonsible for my own bills and expeditures . . .starting slowly from age 12, when I started making money by babysitting. My parnts gave me a file drawer, taught me to keep records, write checks, and keep track of due dates on a calendar. I am glad they did that because when I turned 18 and moved to college, they couldn't have helped me even if they had wanted to because of a failed family business . . . so I had to learn how to live off of very little and save my credit standing.
    My toddler already has a small savings with coins, tooth fairy stuff, etc. When she wants to spend it, we go to the store and talk about how much everything costs, and what she can afford.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I remember having no money while my mother watched home shopping all the time and bought all sorts of crap fake jewelry from there all the time. My dad paid a lot of child support and I always wondered where it went. I ended up being great with money because I never wanted to be poor. I was always so careful about how much I had, how much I spent, how much I saved. It was another case of my mother showing me what not to do.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I was in financial crisis my father taught me how to work money. I was 18 by then. I didn't use his method unitl I had a kid @25 lol I don't want to say it was hard but it took time getting use to being more responsible with money since I was never brought up to care or question it.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My step dad taught me about money and budgeting. Before that my mom was not really good at saving money, and would send me when I was old enough to pay all the utility bills and what not. I did have a sense about paying bills because of that, and then like I said my step dad sat me down and showed me how to budget money.

Answer by gemgem at 1:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My mom taught me about savings. Not so much about debt or paying bills though. She did teach me a little about budgeting though.

For me I have to pay the bills as soon as they arrive in the mail. I think there are few things more wasteful than paying the late fees, cut up fees, re-connecting fees, bounced checked fees etc.

But then I am the nerd of the family =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I saw my parents bills come in and go on a stack by the phone. I knew they wrote checks out and mailed them back - some wouldn't get paid right away, and sometimes we had very little food in the house because of bills. I had my first car loan when I was 17 (started working at 15) and I knew I had to go to the bank by a certain date every month and pay my payment - sometimes I'd cash my paycheck and pay it, sometimes I'd put the money in my checking account and write a check. The first time I moved out I moved into a place a coworker was moving out if - she told me the phone number to call to hook up the electricity and have the water changed to my name, and from there it was self-explanatory. I grew up knowing that bills came before pleasure, so it wasn't a big deal.
    Anonymous

• I always worried about money as a kid, and when I got older and started getting my OWN bills, after worrying and worrying, I just didn't pay what I didn't want to pay. Money had been particularly tight for a while when I was younger, to the point where we didn't have enough to eat, not because of laziness or job loss, but because of the money being made was barely enough to cover the bills. I found myself with an angry attitude concerning money. Also, I was never really taught to make a budget, so all my bill-paying experience has been trial and error since I got out of the house at 18. I wasn't so good at it at first, but I got better at paying my bills.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2011