Was my husband's friend inappropriate?

He called to talk to my husband and I ended up talking to him for about 20 minutes. On the phone, my husband's friend talked to my 20 month old son and said "Is your mom a hottie?" Then his phone died and he called back an hour later. When I answered the phone he goes "can I talk to the hottest blonde in (name of city)?" I joked and said nobody here fits that description and then he said how about the hottest red head in (name of city) referring to my husband. I said nobody here by that description either. It made me feel a little weird but his personality is like nothing is serious. He makes a joke out of everything. I wonder if he would have said that in front of my husband. What would you make of it? Inappropriate or just harmless silliness and fun?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• Many times guys like that try it as fun or silly in hopes it will open the door to something more. Just tell him you don't feel comfortable with him joking like that. He'll get the message and stop. You could always ask dh if he thinks the guy is joking. That way dh knows what's up and can handle it if you don't want to

Answer by admckenzie at 12:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Some people aren't aware that there need to make a joke about everything crosses the line. I probably would ignore it unless it happened again or if the next time it became even more inappropriate.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• For some reason I don't feel like I could tell dh. I also don't feel like I could tell him to not make comments like that because that would be really weird. We don't see him that often. I guess I would if it got worse. Just wondering if it being what it was was inappropriate.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It was totally inappropriate and you should tell your husband exactly what he said. Your husband thinks this guy is his friend, but he isn't. Your husband deserves to know the truth, so you should tell him today.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think it can be a little of both... If he's like that with everyone, it may just be his personality...But if not, then I'd be a little weirded out and would think it was inappropriate.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If hes that way and also asked for your husband the same way it was harmless fun. It is also common for husbands friends to develop crushes on their wives, again no big deal. Unless of course you find him hot and want something from it lol, otherwise I tend to lighten up and laugh about those things.

Answer by gemgem at 1:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I'd probably just brush it off, especially if he's like that all the time making jokes and whatever.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I think if you make it a big deal, then it will be. Unless he crosses that line by trying to make a pass at you or telling you straight out that he'd like more than just a friedship, I wouldn't worry about it. Consider it a compliment. All of us women need those once in a while and it seems harmless to me.

Mrs_Doll

Answer by Mrs_Doll at 3:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Sounds like he was just playing around and giving you a very good complement.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• if it bothers you just tell the guy.
    brookemhowell

Answer by brookemhowell at 4:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2011