Will my kids get taken away?

I'm basically homeless and staying with a friend for a couple of days (until tomorrow), and I'm going to go to DHS and see what they can do for me. I will be able to keep my kids with me right? I wont go if they will take them.

xmama_bellax

Asked by xmama_bellax at 1:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• No they will not take them. alot of people are homeless in shelters, staying with family/friends....its an issue when someone is homeless with children and sleeping in their car or on the streets, than the child is placed in a dangerous situation.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• No they wont take them unless you are literally living under a bridge or in the car, and you arent.

Answer by gemgem at 1:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• As long as they have a roof over their head and its only a temporary situation they won't take them away. good luck.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• No they will not.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Thats a tricky question. If CPS thinks living outdoors is dangerous for the kid's yea, they will take them away. There are many homeless shelters for family's and kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Most likely they will not take away your kids unless they are in real danger. If you are trying to feed, clothe and shelter them to the best of your ability, then they will see that you are a good mother and try to get you back on your feet.
    I went to DSHS in NV when I was homeless with a 11 month old and they got us back on our feet. they never once mentioned taking him away.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• No, they won't take them. They'll try to help you find a shelter.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• As long as you are trying to improve your living situation, they will not take them. If you were against any and all help and refusing to do things that would help you, then yes, they might. But you are TRYING.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• This is a tricky situation. As long as you are providing a safe environment (you aren't sleeping in your car, at a drug dealers or in the woods for weeks on end) your kids shouldn't be at risk for being placed in a foster home. DHS should be able to help you find shelter and maybe even a job. The biggest thing is keeping your children safe whether it is with your or with someone else so as long as you are keeping them safe you should be good. Best of luck with DHS...they aren't the easiest people to work with sometimes. If you have family they may try and place your children with them or a foster family.
    michcous

Answer by michcous at 3:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011