Sex Offender and guns? (not sure where this should be asked)

If someone has been convicted of a sexual crime, and thus is on the sex registery....does this mean he is a convicted felon? And if so, is he allowed to have guns in the house?

EDITED to add: I don't know if this will help people answer the question, but,

Level: Adult Offender

Status: Active

Description: 16-17-490 - CONTRIBUTING TO THE DELINQUENCY OF A MINOR

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm on the fence with this. You can be placed on the sex offender list for a number of things.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Felony convictions and violent crimes prevent you fromgun ownership. All states are different, but no state will allow a person with a felony conviction to own a gun. Dosnt seem to stop the criminals from getting them though. Everything is legal unless you get caught.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• No, a felony conviction of any sort prevents anyone in all 50 states from owning a firearm legally.

They can have their civil rights restored and own firearms then, but that takes a plea to a judge in an appealliate court and judges very rarely grant them.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• To be a sex offender, you have to have been convicted of a felony. A felony conviction prohibits possession/ownership of a firearm. Some people can get their rights back, but I'm not sure how they'd go about it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i think all sex offenders are also felons so no guns.
    brookemhowell

Answer by brookemhowell at 4:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• there are misdemeanors that can be "sex offenses" and cause people to register as "sex offenders" for life...these include...streaking, mooning, getting caught taking a whiz outside of your own home... and other minor things... just because someone is a registered sex offender...doesn't make them a felon or even mean they actually did anything wrong.. and yes, a person with a misdemeanor can have guns.. a felon cannot.
    goodi2shooz

Answer by goodi2shooz at 4:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• contributing to the deliquency of a minor can mean a number of things. has he told you something that caused you concern? i have a friend who got drunk in public and peed in front of a kid and he is now a registered offender for having 'contributed to the deliquency of a minor" . be careful what you are seeking to get someone in trouble for. if you dont know them or their history and they are not doing anything suspicious there is no reason to harass them.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 8:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• NightOwlMama- I don't really want to get him into trouble (although I'll admit I don't like him for lots of different reasons). I'm concerned for my in laws. He lives with them and he has guns in the house. My inlaws are not aware of the charges or anything. I'm just concerned to what would happen if he was not allowed to have guns and got caught with them in their house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Ah ok. Thank you btw for answering so respectfully i appreciate that. in that case, if they knew of his offense, and it was a felony and they allowed him to have firearms in the house then they could be charged with something like contributing to his deliquency, but it would be a minor charge and those kind of charges are really rare bc they have to prove you knew about it and knew he wasnt supposed to have it. he however could go back to prison possibly for life depending on where he lives and how many strikes he has as breaking his terms would be considered another felony. i am a good person to ask about sex offender questions bc i have been a victim and i also have several friend and family members who were either convicted bc they did it or convicted even though they didnt do it of sex offenses. i can completely understand disliking someone for lots of different reasons.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 8:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I agree with NightOwlMama - they'd have to prove your in laws knew about both his charge and the fact that he had firearms. You mention that you don't really want to get him in trouble. If that's the case, and you're concerned about your in laws, why not just make them aware of his conviction and the weapons (if they don't know about those) and let them take it from there? If you want, you could just get a copy of the paperwork regarding the conviction from the court (it is public record), and send the copy to your in laws through the mail anonymously. Then, your hands are clean - you've done what you can to try to protect them. If they choose to continue letting him stay there and keep his firearms with the full knowledge that he should not have them, then it is their own fault if something should happen and they do get in trouble for allowing it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2011