My daughter is 16 months old and shes not talking yet what can i do to help her?

shes says daddy and somtimes she will say mama but thats all.

Kimberlysmama

Asked by Kimberlysmama at 1:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she around other children? siblings perhaps?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• She's just fine. Just read her lots of stories and converse with her. She'll strt talking more soon enough. My kids didn't grow a larger vocabulary until around 21-22 months.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• No she an only child.
    Kimberlysmama

Comment by Kimberlysmama (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Mine didn't start talking until she was older than that. When she finally had something to say she started talking and hasn't shut up since! She's 35 now!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• its normal, not every kid talks right away, i have a friend who didnt talk til he was 3
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 1:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• She will talk when she is ready. Kids do things on their own when they learn by themsleves and we don't need to "help them". SHe will be just fine.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• teach her basic sign language... it's a HUGE help. The words will come... in the mean time she can tell you what she wants and needs with signs.
    16 months isn't that old... sure, many children say more at her age, but it's not a big deal if she doesn't.
    Also keep an ear out for her own words for things... they count too even if they aren't correct. For example... my son for the LONGEST time say "too pa" it was "thank you" so you would count something like that as a word.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My 14 month old isn't really talking yet either and my oldest was 20-22 months before she started talking. My middle was talking in sentences by her 1st birthday. Every baby is different. Just work with her a lot, if you are playing ball then show her the ball and keeping saying ball over and over and roll the ball and say roll. Good luck, she will get it when she is ready. If she isn't talking by her 2nd bday then the dr. will probably talk to you about it.
    Also, if she still takes a pacifier that could delay speech also.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Not to worry! my son did not learn to say more until he was 2 and half! Now that he is 3 he says EVERYTHING! His doctor thought he might be autistic and I told her there was no way he was. He did not show any signs that he is and another doctor confirmed that he was not. He also got an hearing test just in case. He has perfect hearing! Kids learn at different times!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Just keep talking to her and don't stress, she'll do it in her own sweet time!
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 1:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2011