Has anyone ever given birth alone, with no support person?

My husband works away from home, he leaves for a week then is home for a week. We are so worried that he will not be here for the birth of our baby. I have been trying to just say oh well all this pregnancy, but now that we are getting close (4 weeks away) I am starting to get really worried about it.
All my family lives a few states away, my mom wants to try to come out, but isnt sure if she will be able to, no one else in my family can come either, my mother in law wont be able to come, she has to work, and lives 4 hours away, so chances are by the time I need her she still wont be here. I dont have any friends around, my SIL would be the only one, but she just had a baby this week and wont be able to leave the baby, my other SIL is going to be watching my other two kids.
I have tried to look into having a doula, but where we live I have not been able to find any that are closer then 5 hours, we live in the middle of nowhere Montana. So it basically is looking like if my husband is not here at the time I go into labor I will be doing it on my own. I have every intention of having a completely natural birth just like I did with my other two, but am really scared of doing it all by myself. Has anyone else done it alone, and how did it go for you?
Hopefully the baby will have good timing, my husband will be here from about a week before my due date, until the day after. Then will be gone until 8 days past my due date. Its mostly that week after my due date Im worried about, my first was 7 days late, my second was 9 days late, so I have a feeling I will go late, and it could easily come the week he is gone. I know this got long, but thank you for listening!

-LovingMamma-

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 2:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I did. My midwife knew ahead of time that I would be alone, so she made sure that it was in my chart that when I came in, there was always an extra nurse with me - instead of having one nurse in & out checking on me, one was always there and another checked in & out - or they'd switch or whatever, but I always had a nurse there. I had no problems with it. It was my first baby. They were good about taking pictures for me too once she was born - they asked during labor and I said only once she was out ;).
    Anonymous

• you don't need support. women have been giving birth since the beginning of time w/o someone there going "come on" women are stronger than given credit for and birth is something we can do on our own. in fact it's only been within the last 20-30 years that it's become common for the father to be in the delivery room. before that women labored and delivered with their husband in the waiting room. and in many countries, including china, the man is not allowed in the delivery room
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Thank you both, I know that I can do it, I have done it twice, it was nice to have my husband there to lean on though. I think I would be happier about it if I was doing it at home or something, its being at the hospital by myself that I dont like, also not being able to share the joy as easily with anyone. But you have made me feel better, so thank you very much!
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• You can always call 911 and get an ambulance ride to the hospital if you go into labor alone. Stressing wont solve anything and only raise your bloos sugar. MILLIONS of women have given birth alone in the course of humankind's history and everything turned out just fine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• WIth all three deliveries, I was alone except,of course, for the Doctor ,nurse,others in the delivery room. My DH was in the fathers' waiting area. and with one birth,he was in Thailand with the USAF. My Mom took me to the hospital but waited out in the waiting room. I supported myself! LOL. It was no big deal---I had short labors and I was looking forward to going home and being a Mom. The birth itself was not a "momentous occasion". It was just popping that baby out!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• With one of mine it was only me and the nurse! Nice uh? The doctor was asleep in the drs lounge!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

Oh my, I hope you didnt have to pay the doctor for that one! How frustrating!

Thank you everyone, hearing how others have done it makes me feel much better, I know I can do it, and it will still be a wonderful experience whether I have anyone there or not. Hopefully this one will be an easy one like my son was, then I know I can do it!
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Some hospitals have doulas on staff for patients that have no support system with them. You could always ask about that. Good Luck...if you were closer I would be with you but im in missouri
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 4:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Do you have a good friend who is passionate about birth?
    Have you looked into a homebirth with a midwife?

And yes, you can definitely do it alone, but it is nice to have a support person there! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2011