All Day Confession Monday

Interesting counter point to Meo's question below about old, slow hymns.  Should churches embrace new technology or keep it traditional?

Catholic officials using YouTube to draw attention to confession

Local Catholic church officials are using YouTube to draw attention to one of the Church's oldest institutions: the act of confession.

To promote its citywide All Day Confession Monday, the Archdiocese of New York and the dioceses of Brooklyn and Rockville Centre created an online contest called "I-confess.com," in which participants submit videos explaining how they feel about confession.

Applicants are vying for $25,000 in scholarship funds.

(more at the link, including a summary of a few of the videos already submitted)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• what's that saying 'confession is good for the soul'?? it might be good for a scholarship, too!

:))

its not like they are confessing online. they are wanting participants to talk about the act of confession. its just a modern technological means of getting the word out. like an email, or office memo, this discussion will reach more people faster, and render more results, for the institution and the winners.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Honestly, I don't see the big deal. If someone wants to participate in it, they can, if not...they don't have to.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Embrace new technology-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Each individual congregation will see things differently. I don't think it's something all churches need to do, but I think it's ok if they choose to. It really depends on the group of people you are trying to reach. My church has a screen that throws the words to the hymns up on it....I think that's about as technology advanced as my church will get for a long time. It's just how they choose to run things. No harm in either way!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011