Imagination?

I have always had a very active imagination, and thankfully my 3 y/o DD inherited that quality. My DH doesn't have any imagination at all. We are starting to run into problems when, my DD says Daddy come get into my rocketship and fly to the moon....he just looks at her and says "We don't have a rocketship". I'm trying my best to teach him how to have an imagination. Is it an impossible feat to teach a 31 y/o man to have an imagination or is there hope?

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 2:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Tell him to just go with it. He doesn't have t have a great imagination. He can just sit there next to her while she is in lala land taking them on a rip in her rocket ship. My DH does not have much of one too, but he does try.

He could just sit next to her & say things like "So, what planet are we going to?" That would thrill her...

He needs to learn how to play with her how she likes & enjoy these moments. They don't last.

Tell him to roll with it. Also, the fact that he is killing her imagination is just rude. Maybe you can look for some information on how it's great for kids to have imaginations so that maybe he won't find it weird if he realizes how normal & healthy it is.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• What was your dd reaction when your dh said "We don't have a rocketship"?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• She pulled out the kitchen chairs (which we line up for our rocket) any said here it is........
    Kimedbs

Comment by Kimedbs (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• At least she didn't let Dad kill her fun! lol Sounds about like my little ones :) I'd just talk to him and explain that imagination is a GREAT thing for a kid to have, and that it's very important for her. Tell him that being a stick in the mud is more likely to kill her drive for imaginative play more than anything!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2011