The War on Women (For those who give a damn) adult content

Maybe I'm just a big feminist, but I have noticed that there has been a MASSIVE increase (I've double checked my statistics as well so I'm not speaking solely in emotions here) on violence against women, such as domestic violence, sexual assaults/rape/molestations/incestuous behavior, as well as attacks on women in the workplace and numerous health issues (i.e Planned Parenthood).

At the salon I work at, I found out one of my co-workers, a really nice older lady named Pam (this lady is the cutest sweetest little thing!) was being abused financially emotionally and physically by her husband and tried to kill herself (thank god she wasnt successful!). I then found out that the county I live in has the highest domestic violence and rape rate in the state of FL, so I decided to quit one of my part time jobs and volunteer as a hotline crisis counselor at the women's shelter here. I feel like I can't sit idly and do absolutely nothing!

Does anyone feel this way? Why do yo think this is happening?

MaterialGirl198

Asked by MaterialGirl198 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Violence in this society has increased in general. Video games depict women as sex objects and are often slapped around in the name of fun. There is some music who tell the listener the same thing. As long as it is ok in video games and music, there will be people who think it is ok in life as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• IMO, as children~ girls need to be raised to have confidence in themselves. Parents need to PARENT~ encouraging them they can do anything. They do not need to "follow" a boy to find happiness. I have voluneteered with high school girls in summer enrichment programs. And quite frankly it is pathetic. Too many of these girls live their lives in a reality TV mindset. It's too much about who their boyfriend is; what outfit they are wearing; and where they are going 'socially' over the weekend. There is NOT enough parental support in having confidence in being an individual, taking pride in bettering themselves, and refusing to 'settle'. So, imo, too many girls determine their future on boys. When if/they will goto college, When they will have sex, Where they will work, what classes they will take. It's pathetic. What happens when they allows men and others to determine their path? These women can't think for themselves
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I don't consider our country not being about to AFFORD the continued support of birth control for low income woman a "war on women." I call it women needing to be responsible for their own reproductive health.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• So, they can't think for themselves and allow men to treat them like sh*t.... And I call BS to the theory, I think that women nowadays are expected to hold both a carrier and family." as a whole in society. This might be true of women who have no self confidence. But most of the people I surround myself are not treated this way.. NOR are they expected to live up to some expectations set by a male. It's about self confidence. Not society expectations and generalizations.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Maybe it's just being reported more, which is a small step in the right direction.
    And bravo to you for taking a stand for something you are passionate about!!! Great work, hopefully you can inspire others to do the same.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I commend you for helping but I would not consider the need to defund PP a part of the problem of violence against women.

I highly recommend every woman read the book The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I agree with the above, that violence as a WHOLE has skyrocketed. It is also being reported more often than it had been many years ago, because women know there IS help out there available to them. What you did was selfless and I think it's great!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• i don't think its happening more..i think more awareness, more honesty in reporting, and greater chances at being met with sympathy and help are there for those being abused. we live in an age where something is known about within seconds of the occurance. hopefully, we are hearing more about abuse because more victims are coming out of the shame-closet and denying their abuser his/her glory by being silent. to me, that means more women are becoming strong and independent.
    yet i realize, at the same time, society/media continue to shove highly impossible value on things/$ and how fast it can be achieved IF YOU SAY/DO THE RIGHT THINGS FOR THE RIGHT PERSON...ergo, there will still be women (or men) who see a fast buck (for lack of other word) to be made by putting up with crap, because they don't see themselves as self-supporting or independent or smart enough. 3 steps forward, and 2 steps back, so to speak.
    but bravo to you!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Too much Jane Velez Mitchell.
    Anonymous

• Most men are not this way, but there are some who still believe they are better. It's usually due to how they were raised. Many people support PP, but many also don't think it should be government funded. It would still be available. Our country is in crisis and they're making cuts everywhere. We can't make everyone happy. I'd personally rather see PP funding cut over the education funds. It's just a hard time right now.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2011