Evening primrose Gel capsules???

Just wondering if anyone else out there has heard of taking these to help naturally induce labor. I am 37 weeks, and baby is dropped, good sized and fully developed, doc says he can safely be born at any time now.....also my cervix is completely thinned out but i am not dialating.....I am in so much pain with lower back cramps, rib pain, shooting pains through my lower pelvic area etc,... i am ready to try anything to get this going!!! I heard evening primrose oil is best...i could only find in gel capsules...... anyways, my ??? is have any of you tried it or know of anyone who has tried them? if so did it really help any, and did it harm the baby??? Also how should i take them??? Any one with any info on this would be sooooooo helpful!!!!! Thanks :)

missrayanne

Asked by missrayanne at 8:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I used them. My friend was a pharmacist and she suggested it to me. They didnt do much? She said get the gel ones and open them and insert them in you (just the oil) lol it is tricky to do at 9 mths. You can also take them. But the oil is the same as semen when you have sex so if you can have sex do that instead.

Answer by gemgem at 8:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I used them as recommended by my midwife. They do not induce labor they just help thin out the cervix. If you are already effaced then don't bother you don't need them! I took them orally and I was told to open the gel cap and insert it like a tampon at bed time (I did not do this part). Like I said it's not necessary for you to use it, but if you do please make sure you get the capsules out in the morning!
    Good luck! You're almost there!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I used them vaginally. I found them at a natural goods store, do you have a Whole Foods near you? I can't say they helped. I still went into labor at my normal time which for me is 41.5 weeks.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Also, you don't have to open them to insert them. They are gel caps, the sort of melt once they are in there. If you want you can pierce them but you really don't have to do that either.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• They don't work, just cause a mess, neither does Caster Oil. I reccomend a HUGE steak from a steak house, topped with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some green beans. I SWEAR that I ate so much there was NO room for my son and he was born 7 later!

Happy birthing!
    Jhanson1227

Answer by Jhanson1227 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• ginger, rosemarry, pineapple, spicy foods,thyme, ect. all help you go into labor go online and look up ways to go into labor at home thats what i did and i eat a lil of everything they said and went for a very long walk and i went into labor hours later good luck
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• They help prep your cervix so I am not sure if they will help you too much if you are already 100% effaced. I have heard that they help with the healing process though, now that I think about it.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2008