Has anyones child been diagnosed with a mood or behavior disorder?

My son just turned 4. Theres no easy way to say it other then he's been awful this past year, and it just keeps getting worse. He yells, screams, hits everyone (including me), scratches, throws things break things, and makes every activity a chore. It's not even just when he don't want to do something, he will just haul off & punch someone for no reason at all. I've done everything under the sun to get him to act right, time outs, taking toys away, not letting him watch t.v. sending him to bed without dinner, talking (lots of talking). He never can answer why he does what he does. He even went to stay with his dad for a few days 'cause our other child who's 5, I felt like she was being negleted 'cause I spend so much time trying to get him to calm down that I don't get to spend enough time with her.
But I've made an appointment for him to see a mental health professional, were going next week. I'm just sure he must have some kinds of disorder or something, but I'm kind of afraid of the medication's that they may put him on. I'm scared that they will just want to medicate him when I really wanna get to the root of the problem, if medication is needed that's fine I just wanna be sure. One place I called immediatly asked if I wanted him on medication, I was like Not really he's only 3 why would I? The dr were going to see has good reviews and hopefully won't want to first put him on medication. Just any advice on the situation would be helpful. Thank you.
And I already feel like an awful mom, so if your going to say something rude please keep it to yourself. I'm just at my wits end, I don't know what else I can do and really nervous about him going and what will happen.

jfblaine83

Asked by jfblaine83 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I work with CPS and see children OFTEN who have to be medicated for one reason or another. So don't be upset with yourself, it was nothing that YOU did. Some meds can actually level him off -- which would help you both. Perhaps they will recomend therapy -- or maybe both! G'luck to you!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I believe my son has ADHD like me, but I don't believe he really needs the medicine for it. I want to try to find ways to handle it w.o the meds bc I don't believe he it that bad, I never did. I say you made the right move to get him to seeing a dr. just be open & honest with the dr. about everything. Any meds you were on when you pregnant & stuff like that may be part of this. ya know ?? Has anyone else in your family have mental disorders? Try to look into your family history & see if anything runs in the family. Good Luck
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Medication is not a bad word. It is not a result of poor parenting. It can assist a child to feel normal and be there true selves. I would never allow my son to be emotionally uncomfortable, feel bad about himself, and be anxious and upset all tge time. To be irritable and upset is to be unhappy chronically. I would rather my son take medication, have therapy, feel good about himself and the world he opperates in than be afraid of how others will think of me for "medicating" my child. I want to give my child a chance to be in the driver's seat and make choices (good and poor) not for the disorder to be leading the way. I have seen many kids that young successfully take maintance medication, with therapy, and parenting techniques turn a situation around rather quickly in six months. Of course I have seen parents choose no medication and be stuck in the same boat a year later even with therapy.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Look at what you are feeding him. He may have a food allergy. My DS acts like how you described when he has something with red 40 in it.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2011