Germinate flower seeds?

Do any of you lady's plant flowers from seeds? If you do, do you germinate the seeds in little pots Before you plant them outside?? My hubby thinks that the seed package saying germinate them first is the only way to grow them. Do you get better results with germinating first?

vbruno

Asked by vbruno at 3:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Definately germinate first. That will get them well on their way for when the time comes to plant them outside. I like the ones you get that have the plastic containers with the tops and inside they have the little compressed soil pod that you put the seeds into and when you water them they swell. GL.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• What are you talking about trying to grow??
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Zinnias and Marigolds are good to go straight in the ground - specially since you live in SC (if I'm remembering correctly from some previous posts of yours). Cosmos and Shastas should be germinated first as they are less hardy than the Zinnias and marigolds.

Good luck and have fun!!! Sunflowers are another straight in the ground.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• if the soil is good & i know there will be no more frost. I have planted them outside directly in the ground & they have done fine.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Funny how you have stink bugs on your sunflowers and we (Eastern NC) never have. Good Luck and have fun. And honestly - you could drop ALL the seeds into the ground as we are far beyond the frost danger.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We do marigolds and plant them right in the flower beds outside when there is no longer a chance of frost. They do better that way for us. We tried doing them inside to get a head start but they suffered too much shock when put outside. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Germinate!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Flower seeds. Cosmo's, Shasta Daisey, Zinnia's Marigold's those kinds of flowers.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• We did sun flowers last year. NEVER again!! The stink bugs were like a biblical pestilence on them! LOLOL I have always just thrown the seed into the ground as thats what my Mom used to do. Ill try germinating I guess, though I hate to make my hubby think he was correct, or half correct in this case.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2011