Will becoming a CNA eventually help me in college applications for nursing?

I am thinking about signing up for a CNA course. One day I'd like to be an RN, but at 26 with a husband and a son, I have put my life on hold. I have a GED but have not had any schooling since I was 18. I'm sure I need some refresher courses to get me up to par.

My main question is would becoming a CNA be a good start toward becoming an RN and applying to a four year college?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Health

• Yes. I am currently an LPN. I was a medical assistant first and decided to go back to school and become an LPN. I would eventually like to be a Physicians assistant. When I went thru my LPN course I had to become a CNA first that way you learn the basics of bed baths and helping to take care of patients. Think of it this way if you do you will be ahead of everyone else because you would already be in the medical field and if you let the nurses that you are working with know you want to go on to be a RN they are usually more open to showing you things and helping you learn
    Kellyml072

Answer by Kellyml072 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I am a cna and it is a requirement to become one and be actively working as one for the experience.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Many times the hospital or nursing home you work for will pay for your schooling if you work for them for a certain amount of time after you graduate. I was a CNA many many years ago.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• It should, yes.
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Yes. i believe that it is a requirement to be a cna at one point in time to become a RN. good luck mommas
    Chunky_Dynamic

Answer by Chunky_Dynamic at 2:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2011