Coconut milk

I was thinking of switching from regular milk to coconut milk the other day. However, it's pretty expensive. Here it's like almost 4 dollars for half a gallon of coconut milk, 4.50 for a gallon of regular Hiland milk, and 3.85 for a gallon of off brand milk. Is it worth it to make the change to coconut milk?

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2011 in Food & Drink

• We drink almond milk, and while it is more expensive, it is far healthier than cow's milk. I buy the Pure brand (they make coconut as well) and it's about$3 for a half-gallon here. One of the stores I frequent has them on sale pretty often (Kroger) and you can find coupons for that brand in the newspaper. Also, if you buy a few in a single transaction, sometimes you get the "catalina coupon" (coupon that prints out at the register) which is good on your next purchase.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I recently got hooked on almond milk, but haven't tried the coconut milk yet. Even my kids like the almond milk better than cow milk, and it's more satisfying.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I didn't know people were using it as an alternative to cow millk. :) I've cooked with it and the kids have had it as a treat, never occured to me that some people drink it all of the time. lol

Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• If thats what u like
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Coconut milk is for cooking not drinking. It is very high in fats, but not the cholesterol types. Do not use it as a substitute for cow milk.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• cow's milk is perfect....just how God made it... coconut milk is full of saturated fat.... only good in very small doses....
    goodi2shooz

Answer by goodi2shooz at 7:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My question would be how does it taste????
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Well, they sell it for drinking here. I have no idea how it tastes.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I buy the Silk brand of coconut milk. There's a big difference between that (it's for drinking!) and the small cans of other stuff (for cooking). This is made for drinking. It's not bad, it's an acquired taste. My almost 6yo DD loves it. I can't substantiate buying it all the time though. I have printed off some Silk coupons for $1/1, $2/1, various nice coupons for Silk brand - 5dollardinners.com is where I find them, she links them up. I personally prefer almond milk for drinking, and we still use cows milk for cooking/cereal (so 1 gallon usually lasts us a week).
    Anonymous

• That's what's at my store, the Silk brand coconut milk. I just can't believe how expensive it is though for a half gallon.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2011